Posted to dev@datasketches.apache.org by Jon Malkin <jm...@apache.org> on 2020/05/14 06:58:05 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache DataSketches-cpp 2.0.0-incubating-rc2

### Major version: Fully allocator-aware, header only. Varopt sampling
added. Exception-safe. API changes for consistency. ###

Hello Apache DataSketches PPMC and Community,

1. This is a call for vote to release Apache DataSketches-cpp version:
2.0.0-incubating-rc2

    NOTE 1: The C++ code provides header-only library. Compilation is
needed only to build unit tests. A Python extension is also included
in this repository as a set of thin wrappers. That does produce a
compiled artifact, but is not built by default.

    NOTE 2: Compiling the C++ unit tests requires CMake 3.12 or newer.

2. Source repository:
    - https://github.com/apache/incubator-datasketches-cpp

    Git Tag for this release:
    - https://github.com/apache/incubator-datasketches-cpp/tree/2.0.0-incubating-rc2
on branch 2.0.x-incubating

    Git HashId for this release starts with: c51298d

3. The Release Candidate / Zip Repository:
    - https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/datasketches/cpp/2.0.0-incubating-rc2/

    The public signing key can be found in the KEYS file:
    - https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/datasketches/KEYS

    The artifacts have been signed with --keyid-format SHORT : 38F334CC

4. C++ Test Guide:
    - https://github.com/apache/incubator-datasketches-cpp/blob/2.0.0-incubating-rc2/README.md
5. Python Build & Test Guide:
    - https://github.com/apache/incubator-datasketches-cpp/blob/2.0.0-incubating-rc2/python/README.md

6. The vote will be performed in two stages:
   - This letter will be published on dev@ and remain open for at
least 72 hours and at least 3 (+1) PPMC votes or a majority of (+1)
are acquired. All PPMC members including Mentors can vote. However, a
negative vote from a Mentor will cancel this voting process.

   - After it passes the first stage, the summary of that vote and the
key information from this letter will be published on
general@incubator and remain open for at least 72 hours and at least 3
(+1) IPMC votes or a majority of (+1) are acquired.

Please vote accordingly:

[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove with the reason
Thanks,
Jon Malkinjmalkin@apache.org <http://jmalkinapache.org>

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache DataSketches-cpp 2.0.0-incubating-rc2

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the detailed explanation!  We will look into it.

Lee.

Posted by Jon Malkin <jo...@gmail.com>.
The answer is... kind of. Definitely an area that needs work.

- We hav some sample jupyter notebooks, but haven't figured out how to get
them into the website rather than them being stand-alone pages. I think
they might technically be reachable, but there's no way to navigate around
the site once you get to one. And I think one or two of them need to be
updated a bit from changes in this release.
- The first part of each python unit test file basically mirrors the
jupyter notebooks, including lots of tutorial-style comments. Those might
be a better starting point, since they're kept up to date by the unit tests
needing to pass. (There are sometimes a few other tests just to make sure
all the python methods are executed.)

Would it be reasonable/sufficient to add a line to the python README.md
suggesting a look at the unit tests?

Thanks,
  jon

Posted by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com>.