Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Alexander Murmann <am...@vmware.com> on 2022/04/15 00:15:41 UTC

[discuss] Future of the geode-redis module

Hi Geode community!

A while ago engineers from VMware started to improve the geode-redis module that has been in Geode for several years, but never had been completed. This involved adding more tests for existing functionality, as well as adding support for more commands.

VMware will not continue this investment in the geode-redis module. While the geode-redis module is in a much better place than two years ago there still is a lot of work left to make it a viable option for most of our users and the module is still in an experimental state.

For the community this poses the question of what we want to do with the existing code. This work now has been started and stopped twice. All code comes with a maintenance burden which adds up<https://ben.balter.com/2016/07/21/removing-a-feature-is-a-feature/>. Dependencies might need to be updated; flaky tests fixed and it brings cognitive overhead for us and our users. Unless someone else in the community steps up to take on the task of maintaining the geode-redis module, I propose to remove the code from our develop branch and give everyone more bandwidth to use elsewhere.

Thank you all in advance for your thoughts

Re: [discuss] Future of the geode-redis module

Posted by Dan Smith <da...@vmware.com>.
The PRs to remove this module have been approved merged - from geode, geode-benchmarks, and geode-examples.

-Dan
________________________________
Posted by Dan Smith <da...@vmware.com>.
Since it seems there is consensus to remove this module, I created this PR - https://github.com/apache/geode/pull/7657. If folks approve of this PR there will be additional PRs to geode-benchmarks and geode-examples to remove references to this module.

-Dan

________________________________

For the community this poses the question of what we want to do with the existing code. This work now has been started and stopped twice. All code comes with a maintenance burden which adds up<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fben.balter.com%2F2016%2F07%2F21%2Fremoving-a-feature-is-a-feature%2F&amp;data=05%7C01%7Cdasmith%40vmware.com%7C600bdec2f8d14fc583ca08da2df89027%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637872842843468581%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=PQa24X3EQPh8J%2FVL1lvhGLVAT3wfzZEAm7I7g%2FlFK10%3D&amp;reserved=0>. Dependencies might need to be updated; flaky tests fixed and it brings cognitive overhead for us and our users. Unless someone else in the community steps up to take on the task of maintaining the geode-redis module, I propose to remove the code from our develop branch and give everyone more bandwidth to use elsewhere.

Posted by Alexander Murmann <am...@vmware.com>.
Hi Donal,

For the community this poses the question of what we want to do with the existing code. This work now has been started and stopped twice. All code comes with a maintenance burden which adds up<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fben.balter.com%2F2016%2F07%2F21%2Fremoving-a-feature-is-a-feature%2F&amp;data=05%7C01%7Camurmann%40vmware.com%7Ccc72fa6b54bf478a5ec708da2deb17de%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637872784991405843%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=fJjO4SpuCBeyTG1hFc%2FXR8vyBMIDbWK8p9jbtOZLnJo%3D&amp;reserved=0>. Dependencies might need to be updated; flaky tests fixed and it brings cognitive overhead for us and our users. Unless someone else in the community steps up to take on the task of maintaining the geode-redis module, I propose to remove the code from our develop branch and give everyone more bandwidth to use elsewhere.

Posted by Donal Evans <do...@vmware.com>.
Posted by Dave Barnes <db...@apache.org>.
I regularly contribute to the documentation, and I support this change.
Removal of the experimental Redis module would lighten the burden for those
who maintain the Geode documentation.

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>.
Well said, Donal.

From: Donal Evans <do...@vmware.com>
Date: Thursday, April 14, 2022 at 9:10 PM
To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

For the community this poses the question of what we want to do with the existing code. This work now has been started and stopped twice. All code comes with a maintenance burden which adds up<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fben.balter.com%2F2016%2F07%2F21%2Fremoving-a-feature-is-a-feature%2F&amp;data=05%7C01%7Conichols%40vmware.com%7C446f816dd25e4b44826908da1e95e1f1%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637855926345514685%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=rherU8SIujYGLQXkXgIUPCBUtHvMaSy71FQkIvvSWjc%3D&amp;reserved=0>. Dependencies might need to be updated; flaky tests fixed and it brings cognitive overhead for us and our users. Unless someone else in the community steps up to take on the task of maintaining the geode-redis module, I propose to remove the code from our develop branch and give everyone more bandwidth to use elsewhere.

Posted by Donal Evans <do...@vmware.com>.
I agree with this proposal.