Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Nani Jon <na...@yahoo.com> on 2002/09/09 21:29:13 UTC

accessing large/multiple files on hard drive

Hi:

Here is my sitiuation. I have deployed my application war file to a JBoss_Tomcat caontainer. I have developed this app using struts. I am trying to access multiple music files (mp3 format) form this app. I don't want to wrap all of my mp3 files which total to about 1 GB in my war file. This makes for a very lenghty deploy process, especially when it is work in progress. I just want to put them in a directory on the server where Tomcat is running and point to that directory in my application. How is this done. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nanijon.

Re: accessing large/multiple files on hard drive

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
That could get quite tricky if you're running out of a WAR archive.  If
your application is deployed in "unpacked" format, then you could
sym-link (on Un*x anyway) to it I would think.  So you'd wind up with a
sym-link in your root (or protected under WEB-INF) that pointed to the
real directory.  I can't think of another elegant solution.  Maybe
someone else can.

Regards,

Eddie

Posted by Ryan Cuprak <cu...@earthlink.net>.
 Have you considered storing them in a database as a blob and retrieving via
jdbc? You might want to checkout www.frontbase.com which does a pretty good
job with streaming blobs in/out of a database (seekable stream too). At a
conference they were streaming quicktime movies out of a database as a demo
and you could hop to any point in the movie.

-Ryan

On 9/9/02 15:29, "Nani Jon" <na...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Here is my sitiuation. I have deployed my application war file to a
> JBoss_Tomcat caontainer. I have developed this app using struts. I am trying
> to access multiple music files (mp3 format) form this app. I don't want to
> wrap all of my mp3 files which total to about 1 GB in my war file. This makes
> for a very lenghty deploy process, especially when it is work in progress. I
> just want to put them in a directory on the server where Tomcat is running and
> point to that directory in my application. How is this done. Your help is
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nanijon.

Ryan Cuprak                      Software Developer Eastman Kodak
www.cuprak.net                             Cell: (203)-376-8789
rcuprak@acm.org                            Office: (203)-786-5682
Ryan.cuprak@kodak.com                      Home: (203)-407-8267
AIM: rcupr