Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Todd Nine <to...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/30 04:32:39 UTC

Help with the newly release 1.5.1

Hi guys,
  I'm trying to install 1.5.1, it looks like a great directory server, but
I'm having some issues.  I'm using the rpm distribution, and I'm installing
it on CentOs 5.   The binaries get installed to /opt/apacheds-1.5.1 and the
configuration is in /var/lib/apacheds.  Everything works great when I call
the init script manually with "/etc/init.d/apacheds start default".
However, Redhat (Cent Os) and derivatives don't send the second argument,
they only send the "start" argument.  How can I update the start script in a
way that won't be overwritten when the next release is installed?

Thanks,
Todd

Re: Help with the newly release 1.5.1

Posted by Chris Custine <cc...@apache.org>.
This is a known shortcoming that I am hoping to address soon, hopefully for
2.0.  In the meantime, what I have been doing is creating another script
with each instance name as part of it (ie "apacheds_myinstance") and then
each of those scripts starts apacheds with an instance name, for example
"service apacheds start myinstance".  I am personally leaning towards
providing a helper script for creating new instances that would create these
scripts for you and making this type of thing default behavior for future
releases.

Thanks,
Chris