Posted to soap-dev@ws.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@ewarna.com> on 2002/11/20 02:53:26 UTC

Question about JDK 1.1

I don't expect Apache SOAP to be 1.1 compatible (maybe it is), but is there an
older version around, available for download?

Niclas

Re: Question about JDK 1.1

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@ewarna.com>.
On Friday 22 November 2002 09:53, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Thursday 21 November 2002 22:51, Scott Nichol wrote:
> > Niclas,
> >
> > What version of Apache SOAP will you be starting with?  The use of JDK
> > 1.2 features has accelerated over the last 4-6 weeks.  As you guessed,
> > this is mostly collection classes.  Fortunately, the changes are limited
> > to implementations; I don't think any public methods have JDK 1.2
> > classes in their signature.
> >
> > If your ultimate target is J2ME CLDC, have you considered kSOAP
> > (http://ksoap.enhydra.org/)?  It is nice, small and targeted at this
> > platform.  With dependencies on JAF and JavaMail, Apache SOAP brings a
> > lot of baggage to small (in RAM) devices.
>
> Thanks for the pointer, will look into that before starting on
> re-implementations.

Also found a pointer to XML-RPC conviently located on the kXML page, so I took
a look at it. It is much better suited for what I am planning to do....

Niclas

Re: Question about JDK 1.1

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@ewarna.com>.

Re: Question about JDK 1.1

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@ewarna.com>.

Re: Question about JDK 1.1

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@ewarna.com>.

Re: Question about JDK 1.1

Re: Question about JDK 1.1

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@ewarna.com>.
On Wednesday 20 November 2002 12:38, Scott Nichol wrote:
> I believe 2.2 worked with JDK 1.1, and I think you'll find that 2.3.1 is
> at least mostly compatible (maybe some serializer does not work, but
> most of the code should).  Of course, this assumes the required
> supporting jars, such as JavaMail and JAF work with JDK 1.1, too.

Ok, the undertaking is massive in other aspects, so ripping out 1.2
dependencies here and there is Ok, not if every second line is using
Collections (typically the most used 1.2 feature).

Next step is to check the usage of non J2ME CLDC features in Apache SOAP and
"down-port" them. I assume this will largely be in the java.io package. A

Re: Question about JDK 1.1

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@ewarna.com>.

Re: Question about JDK 1.1

Re: Question about JDK 1.1