Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by st...@illinoispower.com on 2002/08/06 23:11:43 UTC

Tomcat 4.1.8 and DbcpDataSourceFactory

I was going to try to test DBCP connection pooling in 4.1.8 on JDK
1.4.0_01with our DB2, Oracle and Sybase databases. The JNDI howto doc
mentions the org.apache.naming.factory.DbcpDataSourceFactory class, as do
the release notes.  I configured server.xml to use this, and then
discovered that it doesn't exist in my install.

Is this class (org.apache.naming.factory.DbcpDataSourceFactory) available
from somewhere, and should I be trying to use it?  Searches have gotten
hits on the class, but all of them talk about using it, not where it should
be found.  I haven't been able to find it  in any of the TC jars (i the LE
or full distributions), nor in the TC source download
(jakarta-tomcat-4.1.8-src.zip).   Also I failed to find it in CVS in
package org.apache.naming.factory where I expected it to be.  The build.xml
has an exclude for this class unless dbcp is present and full.dist=on, so
it at one time expected this class to be in that package. On a full dist
build I believe it should have been built into naming-factory.jar if it was
present.  I just can't figure out where the source should come from.

Can someone point me in the right direction - maybe a download that has
this class built, or where the source is available for doing my own build?
Or if I should be using some other class to leverage DBCP?  I've been using
Poolman (2.1 beta) under 4.1.8 and it works fine, but wanted to scope out
DBCP as a replacement.  Thanks in advance for any info...

Re: Tomcat 4.1.8 and DbcpDataSourceFactory

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
I think this is a case of out-of-date docs -- the default factory now is
supposed to be org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory -- and, in
fact, you shouldn't even have to declare the factory class name for the
resource types that Tomcat understands (such as javax.sql.DataSource).

Craig