Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by "Oleg Kozyrev Jr." <o....@mail.ru> on 2006/12/04 07:38:40 UTC

Datawarehouse implementation

Hello, all

My partner Kirill Kuznetsov and I were working last year on the integration
of Data Warehouse module. Finally we reached following results:
1. ETL processes described in XML, executed in Ofbiz and realized via
Octopus, which transform and transfer data from some JDBC source to Ofbiz
SQL database.
2. OLAP tool which makes it possible to process MDX queries & OLAP
Operations (sorting, filters, drilldowns, and so on) in Ofbiz interface.
3. Ofbiz Interfaces including some nice diagrams (implemented as applets
using JFreeChart).
In addition we have some working examples (data models + star schemas, e.g.
Healthcare data model)

Certainly it's not a ready result, and this year new students of our
university will probably continue our efforts making  it more functional &
easy to use (it's planned to finish old functionalities, add new math tools
like regressions, etc.)

Still it would be great if you took a look at out project (it is
downloadable at sourceforge.net), or if it is interesting we could make
online access (demos to our working version). The most interesting question
for us is if it  can be after some modifications be included into Ofbiz
Source Code.

There  was also an issue in the old Jira (jira.ofbiz.org) called "Ofbiz
Datawarehouse component" (617 as far as i remember).

Best Regards,
Kirill Kuzntetsov & Oleg Kozyrev

Re: Datawarehouse implementation

Posted by "Oleg Kozyrev Jr." <o....@mail.ru>.
Jacopo,

We were using Octopus (http://forge.objectweb.org/projects/octopus/). It's
made under LGPL. So, it can be used in the same way as Shark.

Also we have used Mondrian (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mondrian/). It's
made under CPL and as far as I understand it's ok.

OLAP part is using JFreeChart and it is aldo LGPL. Also we are using only
css files from JPivot and, certainly, we can easily make our own and have
nothing in common with JPivot. OLAP is fully made on OFBiz Widgets.

Well, I hope, that licence stuff is ok.

Oleg.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Oleg,

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
Hey Si,

What have you done so far with the openI stuff?  I'm
thinking if some of Oleg's stuff were incorporated it
would be fairly short work to have openI utilize the
delegator for the connection info and then benefit
from the openI's analysis generation but keep it
templated through screens and such.

I'd be very interested in seeing what y'all have come
up with so far.  Everything I've done so far with it
has predominately been using it along side ofbiz with
the integration steps just giving the benefit of not
having to have an additional tomcat instance running
on another port.

Posted by Si Chen <si...@opensourcestrategies.com>.
Hi everybody -

On Dec 4, 2006, at 8:45 AM, David E Jones wrote:

> [...]
> Reporting, data warehousing and data analysis have been problems
> with OFBiz for a while.
>
> Depending on licensing it may be a good goal to get this into the
> main OFBiz code base, but if it is working okay as a separate
> project then it can be an add-on for people to use on top of OFBiz
> without worrying so much about licensing issues (ie you can
> continue to include LGPL licensed libraries, etc). I should make it
> clear that I'm just thinking out loud about this and while it would
> be cool to have this stuff in OFBiz itself, it certainly isn't
> required in order to be of use to OFBiz users, and hopefully to
> allow some community/interesting building around it.
>
> The one concern I would have as a separate project or even using
> LGPL libraries is having a large library of OFBiz application
> specific ETL artifacts, and reports based on the warehouse
> database. If that is the direction this is going it would be a lot
> easier to maintain those along with the applications and data model
> and such of OFBiz. If the goal for now is just to produce a tool
> set along with examples, it's not such a big deal.
>
> -David
>

> On Dec 3, 2006, at 11:38 PM, Oleg Kozyrev Jr. wrote:
>
>> Hello, all
>>
>> My partner Kirill Kuznetsov and I were working last year on the
>> integration
>> of Data Warehouse module. Finally we reached following results:
>> 1. ETL processes described in XML, executed in Ofbiz and realized via
>> Octopus, which transform and transfer data from some JDBC source
>> to Ofbiz
>> SQL database.
>> 2. OLAP tool which makes it possible to process MDX queries & OLAP
>> Operations (sorting, filters, drilldowns, and so on) in Ofbiz
>> interface.
>> 3. Ofbiz Interfaces including some nice diagrams (implemented as
>> applets
>> using JFreeChart).
>> In addition we have some working examples (data models + star
>> schemas, e.g.
>> Healthcare data model)
>>
>> Certainly it's not a ready result, and this year new students of our
>> university will probably continue our efforts making  it more
>> functional &
>> easy to use (it's planned to finish old functionalities, add new
>> math tools
>> like regressions, etc.)
>>
>> Still it would be great if you took a look at out project (it is
>> downloadable at sourceforge.net), or if it is interesting we could
>> make
>> online access (demos to our working version). The most interesting
>> question
>> for us is if it  can be after some modifications be included into
>> Ofbiz
>> Source Code.
>>
>> There  was also an issue in the old Jira (jira.ofbiz.org) called
>> "Ofbiz
>> Datawarehouse component" (617 as far as i remember).

Best Regards,

Si
sichen@opensourcestrategies.com

Re: Datawarehouse implementation

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
Oleg,

Posted by Kirill Kuznetsov <ki...@mail.ru>.
Hi, Chris

Thank you for useful comments & inspiring ideas. We plan to build server in
the nearest time where it will be possible to see how it works. Certainly we
(or our followers) will also work on bugs you have noticed (and hopefully
will notice further). So we will post here when the server is ready.

Thanks
Kirill Kuznetsov

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.