Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Lars Egarots <la...@yahoo.com> on 2011/05/16 18:35:41 UTC

number of column families

The user documentation, in the Apache HBase book, states: HBase currently does
not do well with anything about two or three column families so keep the number
of column families in your schema low.

Is a lot of column families bad in general, or is it only bad when you query
multiple column families?

My schema has a column family for every 1:many relationship from an entity.

Re: Storing data un column qualifier

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
2011/5/16 Frédéric Fondement <fr...@uha.fr>:
> Hi all,
>
> Simple question: is it correct practice to save data in a column family
> qualifier ?

Others use the qualifier to carry data.  There is no rule against it.
St.Ack

Storing data un column qualifier

Posted by Frédéric Fondement <fr...@uha.fr>.
Hi all,

Simple question: is it correct practice to save data in a column family
qualifier ?
I'd like to save information for a set contents inside a row (e.g. myRow
: {theSet : [1,2,3]}) ; can I safely and efficiently store it like that
: myRow : { theSet:1 : {}, theSet:2 : {}, theSet:3 : {}} (theSet being a
column family and {} being some 0-sized byte array) ?

All the best,

F.Fondement

RE: number of column families

Posted by Doug Meil <do...@explorysmedical.com>.