Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Charles Russell <Ch...@kisinc.net> on 2012/05/17 23:01:22 UTC

DHCP Issue

I have a situation where DHCP is not working for a customer’s network.  It’s only a problem for this network.  Likely I caused the problem with a database restore.  Regardless, I’m doubt this will be the last time I ever run into this problem and I’d like to be able to recover from it without having to tear down network by making template of all the VM’s, delete the project, deleting the network, and then reversing the process.

What I’ve done so far.

I’ve tried a network restart, with cleanup.  Beyond that I do not know much more I can do.

What I do know is occurring.  The DHCPHOST.TXT file that DNSMASQ uses is not making it to the customer VM.  If that file were there, dhcp address would be given to the machines.  I’ve tested this by constructing the file and trying release/renews from the guest.   No errors are being bubbled up into the managementlog.

So what I’m looking  for.

1.       Does anyone know how to fix this?

2.       Does anyone know which tables are referenced?  Or what systems are interrogated in order to construct this file.

3.       Please explain where this file originates, and through what channels the file travels to make it to the customer VM.

4.       Does anyone know what additional troubleshooting I can perform?

Thanks!

Charles Russell
Senior Consulting Engineer
Knowledge Information Solutions, Inc.