Posted to log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org by Tim Murison <tm...@primus.ca> on 2005/04/15 07:49:51 UTC

CVS Head build trouble

Hi all,

I am having some trouble building the CVS HEAD using ant under
Linux/Debian.

I have taken CVS HEAD of ant-contrib and cpptasks and built those, and
set them on the classpath.
When I invoke ant, the build fails with:

/home/tmurison/S-W/logging-log4cxx/apriconv-build.xml:192: gcc failed
with return code 1

The compiler errors seem to indicate problem finding header files in the
apr-iconv library.

Any ideas?

-Tim

Re: CVS Head build trouble

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@houston.rr.com>.
Some patches fix problems that prevent compilation with compilers that
we want to support (such as Borland C++) that have not been of concern
to APR.  I'm hoping that I can get them integrated into the APR
Subversion HEAD, but they haven't been.  APR 1.1.1 wasn't a time to
force the issue since it was a back-port of certain critical issues
from the HEAD back to the APR 1.1.x branch.

Other patches did some fairly radical surgery to apr-iconv, however I
expect to abandon them since I expect to abandon apr-iconv.

For right now, I would just ignore the patches in the autoconf build
since autoconf doesn't attempt to drive any of the compilers that have
issues with the unmodified APR code and eventually the patches will be
integrated.

> Hi,
>
> I'm starting to work on an up-to-date autoconf build system for
> log4cxx.
> I see in the cvs a patch for apr-1.1.0 : is this patch necessary with
> apr-1.1.1 which have been released recently ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Christophe

Re: CVS Head build trouble

Posted by cd...@apache.org.

Re: CVS Head build trouble

Posted by Christophe de VIENNE <cd...@alphacent.com>.
Le Vendredi 15 Avril 2005 18:07, Curt Arnold a écrit :
> I've been waiting for someone to step up to update the automake build.

I can have to look to that in a few days.

Regards

Christophe

Re: CVS Head build trouble

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
I've been waiting for someone to step up to update the automake build.
Unfortunately, it hasn't been updated to reflect the dependency on
apr-util and apr-iconv.  I hadn't considered adding a install target to
the ant build, but guess I could.  However, It wouldn't make any sense
on some platforms.  Sorry to not have been very responsive lately, the
US federal government makes sure that not much happens other than tax
preparation around April 15th.  I've finished mine and will be back in
the game shortly.

Re: CVS Head build trouble

Posted by Tim Murison <tm...@primus.ca>.
Thanks for the fix.

On Fri, 2005-15-04 at 09:22 -0400, jwert@ilstechnology.com wrote:
> Tim,
>
> I saw this problem too.  To solve it, goto the
> logging-log4cxx/lib/apr-iconv-1.0.1 directory and run the configure script
> manually with ./configure.  You'll have to do the same thing for the
> apr-util package as well.  After doing that, the build was successful for
> me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> James Wert Jr.
> JWert@ILSTechnology.com

> |         |           Tim Murison      |
> |         |           <tmurison@primus.|
> |         |           ca>              |
> |         |           04/15/2005 01:49 |
> |         |           AM               |
> |         |           "Log4CXX User"   |
>   >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>   |                                                                                                                                    |
>   |       To:       log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org                                                                                    |
>   |       cc:                                                                                                                          |
>   |       Subject:  CVS Head build trouble                                                                                             |
>   >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>

> Hi all,
>
> I am having some trouble building the CVS HEAD using ant under
> Linux/Debian.
>
> I have taken CVS HEAD of ant-contrib and cpptasks and built those, and
> set them on the classpath.
> When I invoke ant, the build fails with:
>
> /home/tmurison/S-W/logging-log4cxx/apriconv-build.xml:192: gcc failed
> with return code 1
>
> The compiler errors seem to indicate problem finding header files in the
> apr-iconv library.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> -Tim

Re: CVS Head build trouble

Posted by jw...@ilstechnology.com.
Tim,

I saw this problem too.  To solve it, goto the
logging-log4cxx/lib/apr-iconv-1.0.1 directory and run the configure script
manually with ./configure.  You'll have to do the same thing for the
apr-util package as well.  After doing that, the build was successful for
me.

Thanks,

James Wert Jr.
JWert@ILSTechnology.com

|         |           Tim Murison      |
|         |           <tmurison@primus.|
|         |           04/15/2005 01:49 |
|         |           "Log4CXX User"   |