Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Stefan Podkowinski <sp...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/31 13:11:33 UTC

ANN: Hadoop UI beta

Hello,

I'd like to invite you to take a look at the recently released first
beta of Hadoop UI, a graphical Flex/Java based client for Hadoop Core.
Hadoo UI currently includes a HDFS file explorer and basic job
tracking features.

Get it here:
http://code.google.com/p/hadoop-ui/

As this is the first release it may (and does) still contain bugs, but
I'd like to give everyone the chance to send feedback as early as
possible.
Give it a try :)

- Stefan

Re: ANN: Hadoop UI beta

Posted by Stefan Podkowinski <sp...@gmail.com>.
Hi Brian

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 3:46 PM, Brian Bockelman <bb...@cse.unl.edu> wrote:
> Hey Stefan,
>
> I like it.  I would like to hear a bit how the security policies work.  If I
> open this up to "the world", how does "the world" authenticate/authorize
> with my cluster?

Not at all. The daemon part of Hadoop UI is running under a
configurable user and will issue calls to Hadoop on behalf of this
user. Its not much different from the standard web UI in this domain.
The plan is to introduce a authentication layer with one of the next
releases. It will be based on Spring Security and thus enables you to
use many different authentication providers. So downloading all those
Spring libraries along with the project will finally pay off ;)

> I'd love nothing more to be able to give my users a dead-simple way to move
> files on and off the cluster.  This appears to be a step in the right
> direction.
>
> I'm not familiar with Adobe Flex -- how will this affect other's abilities
> to use it (i.e., Linux & Mac folks?) and how will this affect the ability to
> contribute (i.e., if you get a new job, are the users of this project
> screwed?).  Gah, I sound like my boss.

Theres nothing arcane about Flex, but please don't tell anybody. You
can get the recently open sourced (MPL) SDK for any platform
supporting Java and compile Hadoop UI using ant. Other libraries used
are flexlib (MIT license), Spring (Apache L.),  BlazeDS (LGPL). In
case I would have to look for a new job, as you suggest, other people
would be able to fork as long as they know some Action Script, the
actual language used in Flex, and some XML.

- Stefan

Re: ANN: Hadoop UI beta

Posted by Brian Bockelman <bb...@cse.unl.edu>.
Hey Stefan,

I like it.  I would like to hear a bit how the security policies
work.  If I open this up to "the world", how does "the world"
authenticate/authorize with my cluster?

I'd love nothing more to be able to give my users a dead-simple way to
move files on and off the cluster.  This appears to be a step in the
right direction.

I'm not familiar with Adobe Flex -- how will this affect other's
abilities to use it (i.e., Linux & Mac folks?) and how will this
affect the ability to contribute (i.e., if you get a new job, are the
users of this project screwed?).  Gah, I sound like my boss.

Brian

Re: ANN: Hadoop UI beta

Posted by Stefan Podkowinski <sp...@gmail.com>.

Re: ANN: Hadoop UI beta

Posted by Mikhail Yakshin <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Stefan,

> I'd like to invite you to take a look at the recently released first
> beta of Hadoop UI, a graphical Flex/Java based client for Hadoop Core.
> Hadoo UI currently includes a HDFS file explorer and basic job
> tracking features.

Couldn't you please explain, what does it do or at least what do you
want it to do? Why is it better than default Hadoop web UI?

I've peeked here and there, and, so far, as I understand, it's
somewhat underfeatured copy of default Hadoop web UI, created using
closed Adobe technology. May be I'm missing the point here and it is
or would be something completely different (with different
focus/emphasis)?

--
WBR, Mikhail Yakshin

RE: Hadoop UI beta

Posted by "Patterson, Josh" <jp...@tva.gov>.
Stefan,
Thanks for contributing this, this is very nice. We may and try and use
the Hadoop-ui (web server part) as a XML data source to feed a web app
showing user's the state of their jobs as this seems like a good simple
webserver to customize for pulling job info to another server or via
AJAX. Thanks!

Josh Patterson
TVA

Re: ANN: Hadoop UI beta

Posted by Dave butlerdi <bu...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Regards

Dave Butler
butlerdi-at-gmail-dot-com

Also on Skype as butlerdi

Get Skype here http://www.skype.com/download.html

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com

Re: ANN: Hadoop UI beta

Posted by W <wi...@gmail.com>.
+1 wow .., looks fantastic ... :)

On the summary it's said it works only for 0.19. Just curious, does it
work with the hadoop trunk ..

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Wildan