Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by David Graham <dg...@hotmail.com> on 2003/02/20 21:30:09 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Add Exception Handling to ActionForwards

I'll start with a specific situation:
Tiles allows you to configure a Controller class on a tile that gets
executed whenever that tile gets used.  This is most commonly used to
prepare data for the tile from some datasource.  However, the declarative
exception handling feature does not apply to this, rendering this Tiles
feature fairly useless.

The general feature idea:
The problem is that the RequestProcessor only invokes the exception handling
mechanism on an Action's execute() method.  If we extended this idea to
handling exceptions from ActionForwards we could allow implementations to
report errors that occurred while forwarding and allow applications to
recover gracefully.  As it is, I think a ServletException get propagated up
to the servlet.

I believe the changes would include changing
RequestProcessor.processForwardConfig() throws IOException, ServletException

RequestProcessor.processForwardConfig() throws Exception

and the 2 places that processForwardConfig() is called in RequestProcessor
would catch the Exception and pass it to processException().

Thoughts?
David