Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by GOMEZ Henri <hg...@slib.fr> on 2001/06/22 10:41:34 UTC

[POLL] Tomcat 3.x RPMS : Which XML Parser to be put in ? : WAS : XML parser: old version

Hi Sergey,

>With Tomcat 3.2.2 RPMS, I got some XML parser.
>I suspect it is sun's JAXP implementation 1.0. It DOES NOT support
>namespaces (I found it from the error messages:) so it is not possible
>to use XSL in JSPs/Beans/servlets.

That's a known problem. I package these RPMs and asked previously
in tomcat-dev which parser used by default. Some proposed crimson,
others xerces-j (?).

>Will it be any problem to use JAXP 1.1? Or Xerces? What is the current
>policy of using XML parsers in tomcat? Why tomcat does not use Xerces
>having the same Apache licence?

I launch that poll to see if which XML parser RPMS users want to
see included by default.

I could add xerces-j 1.4.0 or crimson 1.1 (from xml-crimson CVS or from
http://xml.apache.org/dist/crimson/crimson-1.1.zip)

FYI, I removed on all my sites (which use this RPM), jaxp.jar/parser.jar
and used xerces-j instead !

Re: [POLL] Tomcat 3.x RPMS : Which XML Parser to be put in ? : WAS : XML parser: old version

Posted by "Sergey V. Udaltsov" <se...@clients.ie>.
> I launch that poll to see if which XML parser RPMS users want to
> see included by default.
Probably no XML parser should be included. . Just document the fact that
admin should synlink necessary jars to the tomcat lib directory. IMHO it
is wrong idea to include parser with any java app which requires it.
JAXP API makes this unnecessary (definitely unless Tomcat uses some
special private API from crimson or xerces).

Regards,

Sergey