Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Scott Brinker <sb...@i-on.com> on 2001/09/13 18:53:29 UTC

RedHat Linux 7.1, Tomcat 4.0 RC1

I'm having trouble getting Tomcat 4.0 RC1 to start under RedHat Linux 7.1. I
have installed the latest release in a directory in /usr/local, installed
JSE 1.3.1_01 in /usr/java, and set up JAVA_HOME and CATALINA_HOME
environment variables.

When I execute ./startup.sh, I get these messages:

  Using CLASSPATH ...
  Using CATALINA_BASE ...
  Using CATALINA_HOME ...

And then it returns me to the command prompt. No Tomcat process appears to
be running, and no other messages are displayed.

I should also mention that I've done this as the root account to make sure
there weren't permission problems.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Many thanks,

--
Scott Brinker
i-on interactive, inc.

Re: RedHat Linux 7.1, Tomcat 4.0 RC1

Posted by Scott Brinker <sb...@i-on.com>.
Thanks, the log files helped me figure it out (I was pointing at the wrong
directory for JAVA_HOME).

Thanks again,

Scott

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Scott Brinker wrote:

> Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 12:53:29 -0400
> From: Scott Brinker <sb...@i-on.com>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: RedHat Linux 7.1, Tomcat 4.0 RC1
>
> I'm having trouble getting Tomcat 4.0 RC1 to start under RedHat Linux 7.1. I
> have installed the latest release in a directory in /usr/local, installed
> JSE 1.3.1_01 in /usr/java, and set up JAVA_HOME and CATALINA_HOME
> environment variables.
>
> When I execute ./startup.sh, I get these messages:
>
>   Using CLASSPATH ...
>   Using CATALINA_BASE ...
>   Using CATALINA_HOME ...
>
> And then it returns me to the command prompt. No Tomcat process appears to
> be running, and no other messages are displayed.

Tomcat starts in the background, and logs all it's output to files in the
$CATALINA_HOME/logs directory.  Try pointing your browser at:

  http://localhost:8080/

> I should also mention that I've done this as the root account to make sure
> there weren't permission problems.

You definitly won't want to run it that way, however.

> Can anyone offer any suggestions?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> --
> Scott Brinker