Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Daniel Sun <re...@hotmail.com> on 2018/01/17 08:10:20 UTC

About the progress of supporting native lambda

Hi all,

     Currently Groovy 3 supports some common scenarios of native lambda[1]
in the static compilation mode. Groovy's native lambda conforms to the
semantic of Java's Lambda(e.g. `this` references the instance of the
enclosing  class).

     Since native lambda relies on static analysis, if static analysis
fails[2][3], native lambda can not been compiled either. We should fix the
issues(e.g.  GROOVY-8445 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GROOVY-8445>
).

     In addition, the following issue[4] should be fixed too. I think I have
not found a correct way to use ClassNode instance, any help is appreciated!
```
A transform used a generics containing ClassNode Test1 for the method public
static int doCall(Test1 __this, java.lang.Integer e)  { ... } directly. You
are not supposed to do this. Please create a new ClassNode referring to the
old ClassNode and use the new ClassNode instead of the old one. Otherwise
the compiler will create wrong descriptors and a potential
NullPointerException in TypeResolver in the OpenJDK. If this is not your own
doing, please report this bug to the writer of the transform.
```

     Next I plan to support callable native lambda(e.g. `(e -> { println e
})('Hello, world!')`).

     Here is the url of native-lambda branch of Groovy 3:
https://github.com/apache/groovy/tree/native-lambda

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun

[1]
https://github.com/apache/groovy/blob/62c835b4e42071fb167934bb87176389d4cd999f/src/test/groovy/transform/stc/LambdaTest.groovy
[2]
https://github.com/apache/groovy/blob/62c835b4e42071fb167934bb87176389d4cd999f/src/test/groovy/transform/stc/LambdaTest.groovy#L58
[3]
https://github.com/apache/groovy/blob/62c835b4e42071fb167934bb87176389d4cd999f/src/test/groovy/transform/stc/LambdaTest.groovy#L139
[4]
https://github.com/apache/groovy/blob/6bf63025ea0478f92ae7075990e90f435cf656fc/src/main/java/org/codehaus/groovy/classgen/asm/sc/StaticTypesLambdaWriter.java#L267-L271

Re: About the progress of supporting native lambda

Posted by Daniel Sun <re...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Shil,

     The issue is fixed according to your suggestion. Thanks a lot!

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun

Re: About the progress of supporting native lambda

Posted by Shil Sinha <sh...@gmail.com>.

> In addition, the following issue[4] should be fixed too. I think I have
> not found a correct way to use ClassNode instance, any help is appreciated!
> ```
> A transform used a generics containing ClassNode Test1 for the method
> public
> static int doCall(Test1 __this, java.lang.Integer e)  { ... } directly. You
> are not supposed to do this. Please create a new ClassNode referring to the
> old ClassNode and use the new ClassNode instead of the old one. Otherwise
> the compiler will create wrong descriptors and a potential
> NullPointerException in TypeResolver in the OpenJDK. If this is not your
> own
> doing, please report this bug to the writer of the transform.
> ```

You should use classNode.getPlainNodeReference() there.