Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Mike Smithson <ms...@wwnet.com> on 2007/05/31 01:58:24 UTC

Newbie Help - the archetype:create task does not work for quickstart example

I downloaded and unzipped Maven-2.0.6 and tried to run the example from the
quickstart doc online. I ran the following:

Ø  mvn archetype:create –DgroupId=com.mycompany.com –DartifactId=my-app
–DarchetypeArtifactId=maven-archetype-archetype

I get the following:

 “The  plugin ‘org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin’ does not
exist or no valid version  could be found.

So, I tried changing –DarchetypeArtifactId to maven-archetype-plugin and got
the same message. Any help?

-- Mike --

Re: Newbie Help - the archetype:create task does not work for quickstart example

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 5/30/07, Mike Smithson <ms...@wwnet.com> wrote:

> I downloaded and unzipped Maven-2.0.6 and tried to run the example from the
> quickstart doc online. I ran the following:
>
> Ø  mvn archetype:create –DgroupId=com.mycompany.com –DartifactId=my-app
> –DarchetypeArtifactId=maven-archetype-archetype
>
> I get the following:
>
>  "The  plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' does not
> exist or no valid version  could be found.

That usually means Maven can't connect to its central repository, the
usual cause of which is that you're behind an http proxy.  Is that the
case?

If not, try it again and add -U on the command line to force it to update.

--
Wendy