Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Günter Knauf <fu...@apache.org> on 2005/04/01 05:32:48 UTC

Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released

Hi,
> Binaries can be found at:
> http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/tomcat-connectors/jk/binaries/
> For now there is only a set of win32 binaries:
> http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/tomcat-connectors/jk/binaries/win32/jk-
> 1.2.10/
added NetWare binaries for testing:
http://www.apache.org/~fuankg/mod_jk/
any folks on NetWare please test these binaries and post here about any problems before we move them to the d/l location.

Mladen,
for getting the Apache13 and Netscape connectors compiled I had to patch jk_connect.c:
http://www.apache.org/~fuankg/mod_jk/jk_connect.c.diff
if you have no better idea I would like to get that in...

thanks, Guenter.

Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released

Posted by Günter Knauf <fu...@apache.org>.
Hi,
>> Also I would like to mention that I'm probably way more frustrated about
>> those banana patches than you cause I reported that compiler bug directly
>> to the Novell manager who was reponsible for Metrowerks connection years
>> ago, I even wrote a sample to demonstrate the problem; and after that
>> three more versions of the stupid compiler were released and they from
>> Metrowerks werre not able to fix it!!!!
>>

> Do you have any proposal what should we do?
there's no other way than what I did: define own types and cast.

Here's the whole problem:
- from clib sys/socket.h which is used with Apache 1.3:
int setsockopt( SKT s, int level, int name, char *val, int len );

- from libc sys/socket.h which is used with Apache 2.x:
int setsockopt(int s, int level, int optname, const void * optval, size_t optlen);

and there's really _no_ compiler switch to tell CodeWarrior to treat 'const char*' <-> 'char*' differences as warnings than as errors.

But I think on the other side the Metrowerks CodeWarrior is not the only compiler which behaves abnormal, and that's one of the reasons why Apache2 uses own types whenever it makes sense; Apache 1.3 did not so much, and therefore you see it building with a couple of warnings on many platforms - and even with gcc you see them if developers would use -Wall ....

greetz, Guen.

Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
Well the GCC 3.2 used on my Linux PPC reports also many warnings :-)

Making all in common
make[1]: Entering directory
`/root/jakarta-tomcat-connectors-1.2.10-src/jk/native/common'
/bin/sh /usr/share/apache2/build/libtool --silent --mode=compile gcc
-I/usr/include/apache2-prefork -g -O2 -O2 -fsigned-char -fPIC -Wall
-fno-strict-aliasing -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -g -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -pthread -DHAVE_APR
-I/usr/include/apache2-prefork -g -O2 -DLINUX=2 -D_REENTRANT
-D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -D_SVID_SOURCE -D_GNU_SOURCE
-DAP_DEBUG -I /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.4.2-ibm/include -I
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.4.2-ibm/include/ -c jk_ajp12_worker.c
In file included from jk_uri_worker_map.h:35,
                 from jk_service.h:34,
                 from jk_ajp12_worker.h:27,
                 from jk_ajp12_worker.c:25:
jk_mt.h:81: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
In file included from jk_uri_worker_map.h:36,
                 from jk_service.h:34,
                 from jk_ajp12_worker.h:27,
                 from jk_ajp12_worker.c:25:
jk_shm.h:91: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
jk_shm.h:99: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
jk_shm.h:118: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
jk_shm.h:127: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
jk_shm.h:134: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
jk_shm.h:138: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
jk_shm.h:141: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype

Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.

Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Günter Knauf wrote:
> Hi Mladen,
> Also I would like to mention that I'm probably way more frustrated about those banana patches than you cause I reported that compiler bug directly to the Novell manager who was reponsible for Metrowerks connection years ago, I even wrote a sample to demonstrate the problem; and after that three more versions of the stupid compiler were released and they from Metrowerks werre not able to fix it!!!!

Do you have any proposal what should we do?

Regards,
Mladen.

Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released

Posted by Günter Knauf <fu...@apache.org>.
Hi Mladen,
>> for getting the Apache13 and Netscape connectors compiled I had to patch
>> jk_connect.c:
>> http://www.apache.org/~fuankg/mod_jk/jk_connect.c.diff
>> if you have no better idea I would like to get that in...
>>

> This is related to MetroWerks compiler treating warnings as errors,
> if I remember correctly? Why don't you use GCC?
Yep. Because Metrowerks is still the 'official' NetWare compiler, and Apache is still built with it; also the build systems are currently only to support MW.
In addition the gcc crosscompiler versions floating around have issues which prevent building with gcc. Novell has now internally modified gcc self, and ported their own linker to Linux; but they did not yet make this the official compiler, nor release the linker source.

Also I would like to mention that I'm probably way more frustrated about those banana patches than you cause I reported that compiler bug directly to the Novell manager who was reponsible for Metrowerks connection years ago, I even wrote a sample to demonstrate the problem; and after that three more versions of the stupid compiler were released and they from Metrowerks werre not able to fix it!!!!

greets, Guenter.

Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Günter Knauf wrote:

> Mladen,
> for getting the Apache13 and Netscape connectors compiled I had to patch jk_connect.c:
> http://www.apache.org/~fuankg/mod_jk/jk_connect.c.diff
> if you have no better idea I would like to get that in...

This is related to MetroWerks compiler treating warnings as errors,
if I remember correctly? Why don't you use GCC?

+#if defined(NETWARE) && !defined(__NOVELL_LIBC__)
+typedef char* SET_TYPE;
+#else
+typedef const char* SET_TYPE;
+#endif