Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by carmen_gfy <Fo...@prudential.com.sg> on 2008/07/17 08:55:24 UTC

Set Authentication when do the SVN Update

Hi, may i know that is there any possibilities to set the authentication when
user trying to do the svn update??

Thank you

Re: Set Authentication when do the SVN Update

Posted by Jan Hendrik <li...@gmail.com>.
Concerning Re: Set Authentication when do the
Ryan Schmidt wrote on 17 Jul 2008, 4:07, at least in part:

> On Jul 17, 2008, at 03:55, carmen_gfy wrote:
>
> > Hi, may i know that is there any possibilities to set the
> > authentication when
> > user trying to do the svn update??
>
> Subversion caches authentication information on the client, so the
> first time you connected to this server (for example when checking
> out the working copy) you were asked for your username and password,
> and then this was saved in the Subversion cache directory. On
> subsequent updates, this cached information is used.
>
> This cache is in ~/.subversion/auth on Unix-like operating systems,
> and I don't know where on Windows.

In one of the three subfolders of

C:\Documents and Settings\%user%\Applications\Subversion\auth\

obviously depending on which auth method is used.  Can't confirm
this exactly now as on this machine I deliberately did not store
authentication information, and I never used SSH.  The path may
differ on your machine, depending of the OS language; I re-
translated it to English.

Jan Hendrik

---------------------------------------
Freedom quote:

     I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences
     attending too much liberty than to those attending
     too small a degree of it.
               -- Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Re: Set Authentication when do the SVN Update

Posted by Jan Hendrik <li...@gmail.com>.
Concerning Re: Set Authentication when do the
Ryan Schmidt wrote on 17 Jul 2008, 4:07, at least in part:

> On Jul 17, 2008, at 03:55, carmen_gfy wrote:
>
> > Hi, may i know that is there any possibilities to set the
> > authentication when
> > user trying to do the svn update??
>
> Subversion caches authentication information on the client, so the
> first time you connected to this server (for example when checking
> out the working copy) you were asked for your username and password,
> and then this was saved in the Subversion cache directory. On
> subsequent updates, this cached information is used.
>
> This cache is in ~/.subversion/auth on Unix-like operating systems,
> and I don't know where on Windows.

In addition to my posting a minute ago: the credentials are not
encrypted.  You would have to apply access rules on the OS level.

Jan Hendrik

(Thanks to Google censoring my list postings I don't get copies of
my own postings, so couldn't add this to the one it really belongs
to.)
Freedom quote:

     Those who won our independence by revolution were not cowards.
     They did not fear political change. They did not exalt order
     at the cost of liberty.
               -- Louis D. Brandeis (U.S. Supreme Court Justice, 1856-1941)
                  Whitney vs. California, 1927

Re: Set Authentication when do the SVN Update

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.