Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/25 20:04:14 UTC

[DISCUSSION] How far are willing to go with diluting the Party component to be diluted with business domain specific functions

While going through some unread JIRA notification I came across:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-9896, and I took a peek at the
starting point: https://demo-trunk.ofbiz.apache.org/partymgr/control/main

I find it a bit curious that we have in the party menu:

   1. Create Employee
   2. Create Customer
   3. Create Prospect

#1 is clearly a function that belongs in the HR department, and we have a
specific component (HRM) for that. Equally so, #2 and #3 belong in the
CRM/Sales domain, and we also a specific component (SFA) for that.

If we continue with this, the next committer will feel entitled to add
similar functions for supplier, vendor, tax authority, any kind of (N)GO,
trucker, patient, HR Representative, worker, manager, etc.

Would it not be beneficial to both the project and its adopters when we:

   - provide a clear description about what and for whom the application is
   intended for;
   - remove the above mentioned menu-items (and the associated screens, and
   services) from the component, and (if necessary) create/move these to the
   above mentioned business domain specific components?

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OEM - The OFBiz Extensions Marketplace1
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
1 not affiliated to (and not endorsed by) the OFBiz project

Re: [DISCUSSION] How far are willing to go with diluting the Party component to be diluted with business domain specific functions

Posted by Rishi Solanki <ri...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Rishi Solanki
HotWax Systems Pvt. Ltd.
Direct: +91-9893287847
http://www.hotwaxsystems.com
www.hotwax.co

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
I agree the mentioned menu items should be removed from the party
component and moved to the appropriate components. I also agree that
we shouldn't add domain-specific behavior to the generic party
component. So +1 for moving them.

There is also more stuff that perhaps should be moved away. For
example when viewing any party you have tabs including:
- vendor
- tax info
- shipping lists
- party skills
- resumes
- employment application
- product store roles
- financial history
- billing accounts
- financial accounts
- requests
- orders
- quotes

I think all of those also should be moved to appropriate components.
This requires a comprehensive study of how and where to move such
items. A JIRA might help in capturing all this information.