Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Sandro Sonntag <sa...@gmx.de> on 2010/01/13 18:59:26 UTC

Shindig and comet long poll

Hi,

is it possible to use comet ajax long polls over the shindig proxy? And does the shindig servlet interrupt  the waiting connection after a while?

Thx
Sandro

Re: Shindig and comet long poll

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.
The makeRequest endpoint won't interrupt itself, but it's not really
designed to scale for that sort of usage either. Most deployments are going
to wind up with a separate thread handling each open connection, and that
may or may not work for you. To do long poll properly, you really want an
event based IO system. It's certainly possible to implement makeRequest like
that, but it hasn't come up as an issue so far.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
If you are talking about the gadget rendering servlet, I dont think it
handles interrupt to deal with long poll/comet scenario.

Having comet gadget sounds cool but I would think we need to wait for the
HTML 5 web socket to support Comet pattern correctly rather than piggy back
on Ajax or iframe solutions.

- Henry