Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Maxim Gekk <ma...@databricks.com.INVALID> on 2022/05/05 11:00:27 UTC

[VOTE] Release Spark 3.3.0 (RC1)

Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 3.3
.0.

The vote is open until 11:59pm Pacific time May 10th and passes if a
majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with a minimum of 3 +1 votes.

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/

The tag to be voted on is v3.3.0-rc1 (commit
482b7d54b522c4d1e25f3e84eabbc78126f22a3d):
https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v3.3.0-rc1

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v3.3.0-rc1-bin/

Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1402

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v3.3.0-rc1-docs/

The list of bug fixes going into 3.3.0 can be found at the following URL:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12350369

This release is using the release script of the tag v3.3.0-rc1.

=========================
How can I help test this release?
=========================
If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
reporting any regressions.

If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 3.3.0?
The current list of open tickets targeted at 3.3.0 can be found at:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target
Version/s" = 3.3.0

Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
appropriate release.

==================
But my bug isn't fixed?
==================
In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
help target the issue.

Maxim Gekk

Software Engineer

Databricks, Inc.

Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 3.3.0 (RC1)

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@gmail.com>.
Actually, I want to add this for discussion because there were many
concerns about the new Kafka 3.1 client.

https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/36517
Revert "[SPARK-36837][BUILD] Upgrade Kafka to 3.1.0"

Dongjoon.

Posted by Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca>.

Posted by Maxim Gekk <ma...@databricks.com.INVALID>.
Hi All,

Posted by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca>.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mridul Muralidharan <mr...@gmail.com>.
I will also try to get a PR out to fix the first test failure that Sean
reported. I will have a PR ready by EOD.

Regards,
Mridul

Posted by Gengliang Wang <lt...@gmail.com>.
Hi Maxim,

Posted by Maxim Gekk <ma...@databricks.com.INVALID>.
Hi Dongjoon,

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Sean.

Posted by Adam Binford <ad...@gmail.com>.

--
Adam Binford

Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 3.3.0 (RC1)

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wenchen Fan <cl...@gmail.com>.
I'd like to see an RC2 as well. There is kind of a correctness bug fixed
after RC1 is cut: https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/36468
Users may hit this bug much more frequently if they enable ANSI mode. It's
not a regression so I'd vote -0.

Posted by Thomas graves <tg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Maxim Gekk <ma...@databricks.com.INVALID>.
Hi All,