Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Rick Horowitz <ri...@yahoo.com> on 2002/04/23 19:42:08 UTC

HttpClient HTTP response problem

I'm using HttpClient obtained from CVS a few days ago.
 I'm trying to get the EBay login page, which I can
GET from my browser via URL:

  http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn8

With HTTPClient, I'm using:

  GetMethod method =
      new
   GetMethod("/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn");
  method.setQueryString("SignIn");

I'm able to correctly receive the HTTP response body,
but am having a problem with the HTTP headers in the
response, as follows:

1. EBay sends several cookies, 2 of which contain the
"secure" parameter. This causes an exception in
HttpClient because this is not an SSL connection,
causing all cookies to be rejected by HttpClient. I
voted for bug 8287, which I believe addresses this
problem, but no fix as yet, if I'm not mistaken.

2. In HttpMethodBase.readResponseHeaders(), the
following confusing (at least to me) series of HTTP
headers is read by HttpClient when receiving the HTTP
response message:

Server: Microsoft-IIS/4.0
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 15:42:50 GMT
Connection: close
Set-Cookie:
s=AAAEAAAASAAAARQAAAPqAxTx6u848QDY1LjkxLjIyMS4xMmUxdGVzdENvb2tpZSAkMiRKYWthcnRhICRzbllBam9OL3RyN2JLbk9jSW9jcUEuAA**l;
path=/; domain=.ebay.com
Set-Cookie: secure_ticket=n; path=/; domain=.ebay.com;
secure
Set-Cookie: secure_ticket_l2=n; path=/;
domain=.ebay.com; secure
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Microsoft-IIS/4.0
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 15:42:50 GMT
Connection: close

Note: the status line is sent by EBay 3 times (the
first one doesn't appear in this list because it is
processed previously by readStatusLine()). Also,
related, is that the headers are repeated after the
status line is resent. Anyone know what's going on
here?

I modified the HttpClient code locally to ignore the
additional status lines - clearly there's a problem
here, but I don't know enough about HTTP to figure it
out.

Thanks very much in advance for any help. BTW, I like
the product very much in general, although a short
HOW-TO would be useful. Kudos to the authors, and my
thanks for your efforts.

Rick