Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Kaxil Naik <ka...@gmail.com> on 2020/03/16 10:50:25 UTC

Let's agree to guidelines for AIP (Airflow Improvement Proposal)

Hey all,

I feel like we have good guidelines on creating an AIP, however, there we
don't have "clear" guidelines on the following (We might already do, in
which case please correct me):

   1. How long should the *Vote *on AIP go on?
   2. Minimum number of votes required to marked the AIP as "accepted"
   3. What happens when the minimum number of votes is not reached within
   the deadline we decide for (1)? Should we consider it an implicit "YES" or
   just wait! Or is it an implicit "not interested in this AIP"?
   4. Can someone veto an AIP?

We can adopt the *Release Approval*
http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#release-approval guidelines
for AIP too.

My Proposed Answer (similar to Apache Release Process):

   - A *[DISCUSS]* thread is created to discuss the approach and idea. If
   there is a general interest in the idea and unless there are security
   concerns or a veto from a PMC member, this will go to a VOTE.
   - A *[VOTE]* thread is created that would last for at least 3 days
*and *until
   3 *+1* *binding votes* are obtained.
      - Binding Votes: PMC and Committers
      - Non-binding Votes: Members of the community

I am happy to document the process once we finalize it.

Regards,
Kaxil

Re: Let's agree to guidelines for AIP (Airflow Improvement Proposal)

Posted by Daniel Imberman <da...@gmail.com>.
Everything else looks good to me, except for the idea of “lazy consensus.” I think if you can’t get 3 binding +1’s that might mean there isn’t enough interest around your idea.

Daniel

Posted by Kaxil Naik <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Imberman <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kaxil Naik <ka...@gmail.com>.