Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com> on 2004/07/19 01:31:37 UTC

Inherited Properties Discussion document

Attached please find some preliminary notes documenting my current thinking on
inherited properties (iprops).  I'd like to meet some time at OSCON to discuss
this with any interested parties.  I'm sure I've missed some obvious
considerations, but I think my ego is strong enough to sustain the inevitable
criticism. ;)

If you are interested, please reply directly to me and I will see about finding
an appropriate time and bar^Wplace...

Thanks

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group

Re: Inherited Properties Discussion document

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.
On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 21:31, John Peacock wrote:
> Attached please find some preliminary notes documenting my current thinking on
> inherited properties (iprops).  I'd like to meet some time at OSCON to discuss
> this with any interested parties.  I'm sure I've missed some obvious
> considerations, but I think my ego is strong enough to sustain the inevitable
> criticism. ;)

(1) You don't seem to have provided a way to override an iprop value
with no value, only with a different value.

(2) This in-filesystem notion of iprops seems to create a number of
problems, as you've mentioned.  I'll suggest a poor-man's alternative,
which is to take the notion of auto-props and move it from the client
config file to an svn: property contained on directories.  (The
auto-props property would itself be copied verbatim to newly created
subdirectories, so that it can apply to a whole tree of new files.)

What you wouldn't get is the ability to efficiently change an inherited
property on a whole subtree by changing it at the root of the tree.  But
I don't know if that's really needed.