Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by Hasitha Aravinda <ma...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/26 16:18:16 UTC

A mechanism to get all Event/Notification messages from Airavata Server.

Hi devs,

Currently we are working on implementing Metadata Catalog for Apache
Airavata. We stared developing a dummy workflow notification generator
to test our tool, but found that it is not suitable for testing. So
now we are thinking to get workflow notification from a Airavata
server.

Our Requirement is to subscribe to all workflow notifications to have
them in our Metadata Catalog. I went through Airavata documentations
and found that this can be done using Ws-messanger component, but
don't have clear idea to how to do this.

Any thoughts ?

Thank you,
Hasitha.

Re: A mechanism to get all Event/Notification messages from Airavata Server.

Posted by Lahiru Gunathilake <gl...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good !

Lahiru

--
System Analyst Programmer
PTI Lab

Re: A mechanism to get all Event/Notification messages from Airavata Server.

Posted by Saminda Wijeratne <sa...@gmail.com>.
Good work Hasitha... How about providing a patch to AiravataClient to add
it as a new functionality? Your usecase is a very good example why it
should be there among features of AiravataClient.

Saminda

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Hasitha Aravinda <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

<ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thank you Suresh. I'll check workflow-monitoring-util project. But it
> will take some time to understand its basic. So I started with topic
> Based Subscription Sample [1] and have a question.
>
> What are operations I should implement when writing a axis2 ConsumerService ?
> Is there any sample axis2 ConsumerService implementation ?
>
> Thank you,
> Hasitha.

> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 4:19 AM, Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On May 26, 2012, at 10:16 PM, Saminda Wijeratne wrote:
>>
>>> You are correct. You can use the WSMessager service to do the job. XBaya
>>> wraps this service and is exposed as a Monitor API through the
>>> AiravataClient.
>>>
>>> If you know the topic id of a running workflow use the function,
>>> airavataClient.getWorkflowExecutionMonitor(topicid,monitorEventListener)
>>> which will do the subscribing for you.
>>>
>>> From the time you call this function, all the messages received for that
>>> running workflow will be passed to the monitorEventListener object (where
>>> you can do whatever you want with it).
>>>
>>> Unfortunately you cannot subscribe to all workflow notifications using a
>>> single call.. you have to subscribe to each of them separately using the
>>> above function... in order to retrieve all existing topic ids use the
>>> function
>>> airavataClient.getRegistry().getWorkflowExecutionIdByUser(user);
>>
>> Actually you can subscribe to all notifications.
>>
>> Hasitha,
>>
>> Please refer to the sandbox project - [1] which should answer all your questions. Note that the code is based on legacy version (XSUL SOAP Engine) of WS Messenger service and needs to be updated to Axis 2 based Messenger service. I recently created a JIRA for this task [2]. For  your next question on topic Based Subscription you can also refer to the samples in WS Messenger - [3] - https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/airavata/trunk/modules/ws-messenger/samples/messagebroker/wse-topic-subscription/. Ideally we should expose this from Airavata Client API as well, feel free to create a JIRA when you see these kind of missing features. And ofcourse you are more then welcome to submit patches for the JIRA's you create :).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Suresh
>>
>> [1] - https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/airavata/sandbox/workflow-monitoring-util/
>> [2] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRAVATA-419
>>
>>> Note that here parameter "user" corresponds to the user who executed the
>>> workflow... passing null to it should return all topicid regardless the
>>> user who executed it.
>>>
>>> Please feel free to ask for more clarifications.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Saminda
>>> On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 10:18 AM, Hasitha Aravinda <mail.hasitha27@gmail.com

Hasitha Aravinda,

Posted by Hasitha Aravinda <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Hasitha Aravinda <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Thank you Saminda. it is a very informative post.

I tried to use Airavata client API by looking at Airavata Client Test
case, but need some helping hand to use Monitor. Can you describe how
can I use Monitor to retrieve notification messages for a particular
topic ID.

Thank you,
Hasitha

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 7:46 AM, Saminda Wijeratne <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You are correct. You can use the WSMessager service to do the job. XBaya
> wraps this service and is exposed as a Monitor API through the
> AiravataClient.
>
> If you know the topic id of a running workflow use the function,
> airavataClient.getWorkflowExecutionMonitor(topicid,monitorEventListener)
> which will do the subscribing for you.
>
> From the time you call this function, all the messages received for that
> running workflow will be passed to the monitorEventListener object (where
> you can do whatever you want with it).
>
> Unfortunately you cannot subscribe to all workflow notifications using a
> single call.. you have to subscribe to each of them separately using the
> above function... in order to retrieve all existing topic ids use the
> function
> airavataClient.getRegistry().getWorkflowExecutionIdByUser(user);
> Note that here parameter "user" corresponds to the user who executed the
> workflow... passing null to it should return all topicid regardless the
> user who executed it.
>
> Please feel free to ask for more clarifications.
>
> Regards,
> Saminda
> On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 10:18 AM, Hasitha Aravinda <mail.hasitha27@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> Currently we are working on implementing Metadata Catalog for Apache
>> Airavata. We stared developing a dummy workflow notification generator
>> to test our tool, but found that it is not suitable for testing. So
>> now we are thinking to get workflow notification from a Airavata
>> server.
>>
>> Our Requirement is to subscribe to all workflow notifications to have
>> them in our Metadata Catalog. I went through Airavata documentations
>> and found that this can be done using Ws-messanger component, but
>> don't have clear idea to how to do this.
>>
>> Any thoughts ?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Hasitha.

Hasitha Aravinda,