Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Niranjan Rao <nh...@gmail.com> on 2021/04/20 21:38:05 UTC

Reloading the configuration

Greetings,

We are currently using version 2.13.3.

We typically set -Dlog4j.configurationFile property on JVM to set the
URL. Log configuration files are centralized on one web server and
multiple instances of the application access the same configuration file.

If we change the logging configuration, what will be the best way to
reload the configuration? Please note configuration file is not local,
but served over https channel. We already have functionality to update
any other configuration by sending appropriate signals to application
and we can easily wire for other configuration updates.

I have tried usual searches  but could not reach any conclusion.

How do I ask log4 to update the configuration - especially if it's
remote configuration file.

Regards,

Niranjan

Re: Reloading the configuration

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Log4j supports reloading configuration files over loaded using HTTP based on the monitorInterval specified in the configuration file.
1. If the interval is greater than 0 the Log4j will poll the file periodically to see if it has been updated.
2. If the interval is zero but the configuration is listening for event notifications then the configuration is checked whenever an event is fired.

In both cases Log4j calls the url passing the If-Modified-Since header and expects a response of OK if the configuration has changed and NOT MODIFIED if it has not. This means if your server does not support If-Modified-Since that Log4j would reconfigure at every polling interval.

Ralph