Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Jacob Barrett <jb...@pivotal.io> on 2017/05/04 14:29:24 UTC

Geode Native Release

All,

I want to start the discussion on releasing Geode Native C++ and .NET
clients with the next or near future Geode release.

There are a few house keeping items left in the source release JIRA [1]. It
would be great to get some help completing these tasks.

If we start with a source only release, which Geode release should we
target? Since it is "adding feature" it seems it makes the most sense to do
it as part of a minor release, say 1.2.

To throw a little wrench in it all. There are some serious changes coming
with [2] conversion to std::shared_ptr, [3] removal of all globals, [4]
replacing all non-standard concurrency methods. These changes won't be
compatible with sources written against previous releases of geode-native,
thus suggesting they will need a major rev shortly. My suggestion would be
to cut a release branch now on geode-native for 1.2 and get it ready for
source release. Backport any changes on the release branch to develop. That
leaves develop open for marching forward with what would be a 2.0 set of
sources. Any release of Geode 1.x would just include the geode-native
release/1.x branches until Geode 2.0.

Thoughts and feedback?

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GEODE-1416
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GEODE-2807
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GEODE-2729
[4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GEODE-2493

-Jake

Re: Geode Native Release

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.
> On May 4, 2017, at 7:29 AM, Jacob Barrett <jb...@pivotal.io> wrote:
>
> There are a few house keeping items left in the source release JIRA [1]. It
> would be great to get some help completing these tasks.

BTW, I’m happy to help with some of the build issues.  I wrote up a gradle script awhile back to create and sign the source artifacts for geode-native.  If you’d rather do that via cmake it might be more complicated :-)

Anthony

Re: Geode Native Release

Posted by John Blum <jb...@pivotal.io>.
Jacob - Ah, sorry to hear that.

--
-John
john.blum10101 (skype)

Re: Geode Native Release

Posted by Jacob Barrett <jb...@pivotal.io>.

Re: Geode Native Release

Posted by John Blum <jb...@pivotal.io>.

--
-John
john.blum10101 (skype)

Re: Geode Native Release

Posted by Jacob Barrett <jb...@pivotal.io>.
It's the problem we are going to have with two distinctly different modules
sharing the same project release cycle. The best we could do is branch
release/v1.3 form the support/v1.2 branch until we are ready to release the
breaking changes in the geode-native/develop branch.

-Jake

Re: Geode Native Release

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.

Re: Geode Native Release