Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2008/11/12 19:50:50 UTC

Community Driven Marketing of Apache OFBiz

One of the things discussed at the recent conference (OFBiz Symposium
@ ApacheCon US 2008) is to do more marketing of OFBiz. One of the
weaknesses of the community-driven software model is that there is no
central organization that consolidates profits from the software and
can use them to market the software. While there are many advantages
of community-driven software (and IMO that is why OFBiz is some of the
best ERP/etc software available), marketing isn't one of them.

Or isn't it? One thing was discussed at the conference and that may
work well is some community driven marketing for the project. There
are 2 different forms of this discussed, and there could be many others:

1. grassroots "viral" campaign: the tag line is "I am Open For Business"

1.a. the first idea is to post this on social and business networking
sites (facebook, myspace, linkedin, etc, etc), and to get others to do
it as well, even if they aren't quite sure what it means (because it
kind of sounds funny); if people google "open for business"
ofbiz.apache.org is the first result; if people also link to
ofbiz.apache.org then we'll have an even stronger position on google
and other sites; I have already added this to my facebook account
(just "is Open For Business" in the "What are you doing right now?"
thingy, and on LinkedIn I'm not sure where is best, perhaps as a
current position as it's most visible, and I've added a new group call
"I am Open For Business" that everyone should join

1.b. to extend this the more gregarious among us should create funny
videos and upload them to YouTube and similar sites, and funny
pictures and upload them to Flickr and similar sites, and hopefully
others will see these and make their own and share them, again even if
they don't know what "OFBiz" even is; the videos or pictures should
have someone in the foreground saying or holding up a sign that says
"I am Open For Business", plus optionally something that describes
what they are doing/showing, and something in the background that is
related to a business they actually run (in front of the business, by
products made/sold, in a warehouse or call center, etc), or to just a
hobby or something they enjoy doing (bungee jumping, working on a
laptop at Starbucks, whatever); in a way this is a variation on the "I
am a PC" thingy, but actually this idea pre-dates that ad campaign...
still that campaign may make this all the more interesting and
successful

1.c. if you post things anywhere that represents a group, feel free to
use "We are Open For Business"

2. paid advertisements driven by any company that wants to get
involved; these can show collaboration and also further demonstrate
the community driven nature of the open source project, ie with the
open source project in the middle and not any company or what what;
the adds we have a big "We are Open For Business" and would have the
OFBiz logo in the middle (yes, we'd have to coordinate through the ASF
PRC), and logos of each company spread around the add, and even logos
of end-users who give us permission either connected directly to OFBiz
or connected to one or more of the service providers; these ads would
be paid for be the service providers; as part of this I think we
should also add consideration for service providers who can't afford
to sponsor it so that they can be included in the ads

The general idea is to emphasize the community-driven nature of the
project. There is no individual or organization that represents OFBiz
on its own, it is an open project driven by a number of individuals
and organizations, so it's correct to say "I am Open For Business" and
"We are Open For Business".

On a side note, I think both of these have been discussed before... so
the main point of this message is to take action, now. So, go to your
public profiles and add "I am Open For Business", and take a funny (or
interesting) picture or video and post it around.

-David

============================
Related Note: OFBiz Alliance

Related to #2 there was also some discussion of some sort of "OFBiz
Alliance" that would be an organization that owns a trademark, is run
by all members of it, and the main points would be to qualify vendors
(service providers mostly, perhaps product companies and end-user
organizations and such as well) and certify them. This isn't really an
activity that fits within what a non-profit open source organization
is all about, ie I don't think we want the OFBiz PMC in the business
of creating a stamp of approval for other organizations, so this would
be something separate.

The main idea is that organizations could use the trademarked logo if
approved by the members, and conditions for that approval would be
things like using OFBiz internally to manage your business (eat your
own dog food type of thing, ie for project/issue mgmt, sales
automation, billing/accounting, etc), and to have a certain number of
customization projects completed, with case studies for at least 1-2
and preferably for all projects where the client allows the case
study, and perhaps also to have a regular stream of contributions
going back to OFBiz (preferably with committers on staff, or at have
people contributing and moving toward becoming a committer because
again it wouldn't be good to have an OFBiz PMC decision to be part of
this. While those are the main criteria, there might be small fees to
register and help protect the trademark and to maintain a web site
that talks about what the alliance is all about, who are members, etc.

One neat thing that could come of this is an opportunity to
collaborate in a more coordinated way on larger projects. If all
members of the alliance are using OFBiz for their project management,
and we added some "distributed delegation" features to the software,
then we could do some really nice things with projects that are larger
than any single service provider can handle, or where the client
demands multiple service providers and common practices among them in
order to mitigate risk.

So, in general the idea is to give organizations an incentive to do
certain things that are good for them and for the community, and to
encourage collaboration and such that make OFBiz what it is. In return
they have access to a stamp of approval that prospective clients can
look for to help in their decision making. There were a few people at
the conference who expressed interest in this, so hopefully in the not
too distant future more of this will materialize.

Re: Community Driven Marketing of Apache OFBiz

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
FYI: the LinkedIn group site is here:

http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1233197

-David