Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Cheri Dennison <ch...@amazon.com> on 2008/08/19 02:34:41 UTC

FOP 0.95 problem: text running into footer

I'm upgrading from 0.20.5 to 0.95 (released), and with 0.95 I've got an
instance where the text runs down into the footer in the PDF. It doesn't
happen with FOP 0.20.5, only with FOP 0.95. I'm using DocBook stylesheets
1.74 with Saxon 6.5.5 and Xerces 2.8.0.

The problem occurs on Adobe page 58 in the attached
http://www.nabble.com/file/p19042443/cheri_test.pdf PDF file . I've also
attached the  http://www.nabble.com/file/p19042443/book.xml_fo.xml FO file ,
and   http://www.nabble.com/file/p19042443/listxml.txt a text file showing
the orderedlist XML  that is causing the problem. Any idea why this
particular long list won't break to the next page correctly?

thanks!
cheri

Re: FOP 0.95 problem: text running into footer

Posted by Cheri Dennison <ch...@amazon.com>.
Thanks for your reply. I got a response on the docbook-apps list that
confirms that.

>From Vincent Hennebert:
..."Basically, FOP makes use of
elastic spaces to “justify” pages (align the bottoms of pages so that it
looks nicer); but there’s a bug in lists that makes spaces stretch too
much, and the content appear in the margin. Hopefully this issue will be
fixed in the next version of FOP.

To work around this problem you may try to suppress elastic spaces (set
the .minimum, .optimum and .maximum components of space-before or
space-after to the same value). This may be a bit tricky as you will
probably need to modify templates that have nothing to do with
orderedlist."

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
I'm not sure, yet, but I think it has to do with min/opt/max settings on
spaces not properly being processed. I'll have to take a closer look
a little later. I suspect it's a bug in FOP.

If my suspicion is right you can possibly work around it by not allowing
stretchable spaces.

On 19.08.2008 02:34:41 Cheri Dennison wrote:

> I'm upgrading from 0.20.5 to 0.95 (released), and with 0.95 I've got an
> instance where the text runs down into the footer in the PDF. It doesn't
> happen with FOP 0.20.5, only with FOP 0.95. I'm using DocBook stylesheets
> 1.74 with Saxon 6.5.5 and Xerces 2.8.0.
>
> The problem occurs on Adobe page 58 in the attached
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p19042443/cheri_test.pdf PDF file . I've also
> attached the  http://www.nabble.com/file/p19042443/book.xml_fo.xml FO file ,
> and   http://www.nabble.com/file/p19042443/listxml.txt a text file showing
> the orderedlist XML  that is causing the problem. Any idea why this
> particular long list won't break to the next page correctly?
>
> thanks!
> cheri

Jeremias Maerki