Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2015/03/12 10:50:20 UTC

Why are committers accounts never terminated?

Hi Infra Team and All,

I have a question I wonder for some time and recently discussed in our OFBiz PMC ML.

Committers come and go. When a PMC member resign, because s/he clearly wants to stop helping on the project and want to be completely disconnect from
it, her/his committer account remains active. I wonder if this is not an useless security hole. Same for no longer active committers. The difference
with an active committer is s/he will never know since s/he is possibly no longer monitoring things.

A credential can be abused by an external person, that can be the beginning of much troubles we can not all imagine (hackers do)... With security
holes you never know, until it bites you, so I really wonder why a committer account can not be terminated?

Thanks

Jacques

Fwd: Why are committers accounts never terminated?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
This bounced.
Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
I'm with Pierre on this one. The ATS PMC has, as an example, several members and committers   who no longer read or reply to emails. We honestly have no idea if they are even in control of their  accounts.

Cheers,

-- Leif

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jake,

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Ron,

I suspect the ASF has the tools/solutions regarding those processes to the
PMC.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 2:26 PM, Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@artifact-software.com

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
We're not even talking about removing accounts. That is at ASF level. But
we're talking about revoking permissions.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org>.
Hi Pierre

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Mark,

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
 I would liked to add to Mark's answer that just because a volunteer steps away, they still have the merit and karma they earned.  Life sometimes gets in the way but we want volunteers to be able to step back into things.  I have also never heard of anyone misusing karma granted on return.

So I would think it extraordinary to remove commit access.  You never know when they might be back or another tlp takes their interest.

They could lose there credentials which Mark has covered but otherwise I hope I have explained more of the ideology behind they why.
Regards,
KAM

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.