Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com> on 2018/02/27 21:28:03 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] 2.9+ stabilization branch

Hi Arun/Subru,

Bumping the minimum Java version is a major change, and incompatible for
users who are unable to upgrade their JVM version. We're beyond the EOL for
Java 7, but as we know from our experience with Java 6, there are plenty of
users who stick on old Java versions. Bumping the Java version also makes
backports more difficult, and we're still maintaining a number of older 2.x
releases. I think this is too big for a minor release, particularly when we
have 3.x as an option that fully supports Java 8.

What's the rationale for bumping it here?

I'm also curious if there are known issues with 3.x that we can fix to make
3.x upgrades smoother. I would prefer improving the upgrade experience to
backporting major features to 2.x since 3.x is meant to be the delivery
vehicle for new features beyond the ones named here.

Best,
Andrew

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Konst and all,

Is there a list of 3.0 specific upgrade concerns that you could share? I
understand that a new major release comes with risk simply due to the
amount of code change, but we've done our best as a community to alleviate
these concerns through much improved integration testing and compatibility
efforts like the shaded client and revamped compat guide. I'd love to hear
about what else we can do here to improve our 3.x upgrade story.

I understand the need for a bridge release as an upgrade path to 3.x, but I
want to make sure we don't end up needing a 2.11 or 2.12 also. The scope
mentioned here isn't really bridging improvements, which in in my mind are
compatibility improvements that help with running 2.x and 3.x clients
concurrently to enable a later upgrade to just 3.x. Including new features
makes this harder (or at least not easier), and means more ongoing
maintenance work on 2.x.

So, a hearty +1 to your closing statement: if we're going to do a bridge
release, let's do it right and do it once.

Best,
Andrew

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Konst and all,