Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au> on 2002/11/04 05:32:04 UTC

Standards compliance (Was: sync various descriptions of Forrest)

Robert Koberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Knowing that one of the goals of the forrest project is to create standards
> based sites, I wanted to check if
> http://xml.apache.org/forrest/ is valid according to the standards initiatives.

Excellent work Robert. This is extremely important.

> It fails on validating to HTML 4.01 transitional. Check at:
> http://validator.w3.org/
>
> It fails U.S. Section 508 Guidelines:
> http://bobby.watchfire.com/
> (I don't know what you have to do to get 'Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
> 1.0' valid - koberg.com doesn't even validate to this...)
>
> And it fails on CSS:
> http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator-uri.html
>
> I would suggest that rather than focus on fixing current styling
> (though it is not far from being valid), that effort is put
> toward developing a tableless layout.

I would like to see both happening. Tweak the current
stuff to get as close as possible, and perhaps uncover
some issues in the process. Simultaneously work on a
tableless layout. This would be just another skin, and
perhaps its own sitemap. Please provide patches and we
will get started with both jobs.

There is a new document in Forrest: compliance.xml
This has the URLs and info that Robert has initiated.
There are also some dot points, where i have listed
some important issues from each. Please add more.

--David