Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by Ken Hu <ke...@gmail.com> on 2024/03/05 01:57:13 UTC

Driver and Server Compatibility Testing

Hi All,

Currently, it is difficult for a user to tell if upgrading their graph
database to a newer version will cause their application to break. We don't
know which versions of the driver will work with which versions of
TinkerGraph running in the Gremlin Server. This question gets even more
complicated when you need to consider other providers. This sort of driver
and server compatibility testing is missing from Apache TinkerPop.

To solve this problem, I've been working on a system that will allow
testing for these scenarios. A very early version of it can be seen here (
https://github.com/apache/tinkerpop/commit/c1e1bfdbce09cab08d08a53a53886a2d645f4274).
Right now, it is only capable of running the non-Java GLVs feature tests
against different versions of TinkerGraph. However, the vision for this
system in the future would be for it to be able to run a customizable set
of feature tests, on any GLV, against any provider.

I'm curious if there are any providers that have experienced similar
questions from their users about which versions of the GLVs they can use
against different versions of their server.

Thanks,
Ken