Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Shah, Chintan V (Chintan)" <cv...@lucent.com> on 2001/10/18 16:15:05 UTC

URGENT - Tomcat Crashing Frequently Dr. Watson Error

Hi All,

I'm new to this mailing group. I need some help.

I'm using Apache 1.3.19 , Tomcat 3.2.1 with Win NT 4.0 Service Pack 6,  128
MB RAM, Pentium II machine.
My application architecture is Ms-Access - Java Beans - JSP . Many of my JSP
pages are doing heavy processes like database searching, updating multiple
database tables, multiple table rows at a time...etc.

My Tomcat crashes very frequently (Dr. Watson Error)...  I tried to
understand the Dr Watson log file also...And if I am not wrong, I could
understand that the log file is showing faults in the system functions like,
MPHeapFree or RtlEnterCriticalSection or something like that.. (If you want
then i can send you the chunk of that log file also...).

I could identify the sequence of actions also, where the majority times the
Tomcat crashes... One sequence is ...In IE/NS browser, i log into my
application, then with Ctrl+N, i open another window and then from both of
the browser windows, i surf thru different modules and pages, till then it
works fine...no probs... then, i log out from one of the browser window
(which obviously logs me out in another browser also...) and close one of
the window. Then I again log into the application from the open window...and
go thru different pages and do some heavy database access stuff...like
searching, updating tables and all... and during this....  at some point in
time...the tomcat crashes...(dr watson error).

Now, as I have gone thru the Archieves of the Tomcat Users mailing
list...i've frequently seen people saying that JDBC ODBC driver is not
"THREAD SAFE" and it should NOT be used for production and Sun is also
saying that JDBC ODBC driver is just experimental and having some problems
which they are not going to solve...(sun bug parade...).. and people advice
to use some other database access drivers.....so, can somebody advice me
that exactly which driver should I use...and where it is available...(which
should be freely available, should allow my code to work with that also
without changes, and easily implementable...) ...as within next two days
I've to launch the application.

eagerly waiting for solutions,
TIA,

thanks and regards,