Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Eliseev Alexandr <el...@technoserv.ru> on 2002/07/08 13:41:34 UTC

Too many clients on Apache server

The problem is the folloing: when more then 100 clients try to connect to Apache 1.3.12.3 HTTP server using keep-alive connection, the server falls down. We use SSL as well and in Apache log appears the following message:
[error] mod_ibm_ssl: SSL Handshake failed, socket has been closed.
Is there any way to solve this problem?
Some of my httpd.conf notes:
MaxKeepAliveRequests: 0
MaxRequestsPerChild 0
ThreadsPerChild 500
Thanks.

Re: Too many clients on Apache server

Posted by Jeff Beard <je...@cyberxape.com>.
100 clients kills the server? Even on a 486 that would be surprising.

Anyway, set Keepalive to off and bump up Maxclients, as long as you have
enough memory. If not, go get more memory and run more processes.

I've seen that error on servers that appear to be running nominally
so I don't know that it has anything to do with the load on the
web server.

--Jeff

--
Jeff Beard | Systems Architect, Programmer, Sysadmin
Contact    | jeff at cyberxape dot com