Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Lohith BK <lo...@gmail.com> on 2019/12/13 18:46:57 UTC

Configuration File and programmatic configuration not working

Greetings,

I have been trying to get the programmatic configuration working (on top of
the file based configuration), but it doesn't seem to merge them together.
Here is the meat of the plugin code.
/tmp/xpose.log gets created, and also the output from the programmatic
configuration /tmp/customconfig.xml gets created and looks as expected.
However when I try to get the configured logger in the code it appears use
the ones inherited from the root logger. Also, the example code in the
documentation doesn't seem to reflect the newer builder API.

https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/customconfig.html

class CustomConfiguration extends XmlConfiguration{
    public CustomConfiguration(final LoggerContext loggercontext, final
ConfigurationSource confsource){
        super(loggercontext,confsource);
    }
    @Override
    protected void doConfigure(){
        super.doConfigure();

        ConfigurationBuilder<BuiltConfiguration> builder =
ConfigurationBuilderFactory.newConfigurationBuilder();
        AppenderComponentBuilder apbuilder =
builder.newAppender("XPOSE","File").addAttribute("fileName","/tmp/xpose.log");
        builder.add(apbuilder);
        LoggerComponentBuilder lgbuilder =
builder.newLogger("customlogger",Level.INFO).addAttribute("additivity","false");
        lgbuilder.add(builder.newAppenderRef("XPOSE"));
        builder.add(lgbuilder);

        try{
            File opt = new File("/tmp/customconfig.xml");
            FileOutputStream fop = new FileOutputStream(opt);
            builder.writeXmlConfiguration(fop);
            builder.build();
        }catch(FileNotFoundException e){
            System.out.println(e.getMessage());
        }catch(IOException e){
            System.out.println(e.getMessage());
        }
    }
}

Output of programmatic configuration.

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<Configuration>
  <Appenders>
    <File name="XPOSE" fileName="/tmp/xpose.log"/>
  </Appenders>
  <Loggers>
    <Logger name="customlogger" level="INFO" additivity="false">
      <AppenderRef ref="XPOSE"/>
    </Logger>
  </Loggers>
</Configuration>

Re: Configuration File and programmatic configuration not working

Posted by Lohith BK <lo...@gmail.com>.
I got it working as per my requirement, well almost. I get an NPE when I
try to set the additional fields for the JsonLayout but works when I don't
set the them. I went through the source code, I think I am doing it right
but may be not.

        KeyValuePair.Builder kb1 = new
KeyValuePair.Builder().setKey("compact").setValue("true");
        KeyValuePair.Builder kb2 = new
KeyValuePair.Builder().setKey("complete").setValue("false");
        KeyValuePair[] additionalFields = new
KeyValuePair[]{kb1.build(),kb2.build()};
        System.out.println(additionalFields.length);

        JsonLayout.Builder jb = new
JsonLayout.Builder().setAdditionalFields(additionalFields); <-- This breaks
        //JsonLayout.Builder jb = new JsonLayout.Builder(); <-- This works.

        FileAppender.Builder fp = new
FileAppender.Builder().withFileName("/tmp/xpose.json.log").withAppend(true);
        fp.setName("DEMO");
        fp.setLayout(jb.build());
        FileAppender fps = fp.build();
        fps.start();
        addAppender(fps);

#### Relevant part of the NPE ####

2019-12-16 10:06:57,518 org.rio.lohit.Main.main() ERROR An exception
occurred processing Appender DEMO java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.layout.AbstractJacksonLayout.resolveAdditionalFields(AbstractJacksonLayout.java:301)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.layout.AbstractJacksonLayout.wrapLogEvent(AbstractJacksonLayout.java:286)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.layout.AbstractJacksonLayout.toSerializable(AbstractJacksonLayout.java:319)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.layout.JsonLayout.toSerializable(JsonLayout.java:291)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.layout.AbstractJacksonLayout.toSerializable(AbstractJacksonLayout.java:274)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.layout.JsonLayout.toSerializable(JsonLayout.java:68)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.layout.AbstractJacksonLayout.toSerializable(AbstractJacksonLayout.java:51)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.layout.AbstractStringLayout.toByteArray(AbstractStringLayout.java:302)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.layout.AbstractLayout.encode(AbstractLayout.java:210)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.layout.AbstractLayout.encode(AbstractLayout.java:37)

Thanks
Lohith

Posted by Lohith BK <lo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.