Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by aswath narayana <as...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/06 10:34:22 UTC

gmail contacts sync in ofbiz SFA

Hello All,
I plan to write the sync between Gmail Contacts and OFBiz Leads and
Contacts.  I will be using GData API to accomplish this.

Following are the steps.
* A sub tab menu item - 'Sync to Gmail' is added to SFA
* The user presses on 'Sync to Gmail' tab
* The user is prompted for Gmail userid and password
* User enters the Gmail user id and password ( Gmail userid and password
will not be stored in the OFBiz system)
* Gmail to OFBiz : Each Gmail contact is checked against the Leads in the
OFBiz using email address as the primary comparison.  If the Gmail contact
is not found in OFBiz leads, then it will be checked against the OFBiz
contacts.  If it is not found then, the user will be prompted to be put
either in Leads or Contacts.
* OFBiz to Gmail: Each OFBiz lead and OFBiz contact is checked against Gmail
contact, and if it is not available in Gmail, a Gmail contact gets created.

Please provide your inputs.

-Aswath

Re: gmail contacts sync in ofbiz SFA

Posted by "Michael Xu (xudong)" <do...@wizitsoft.com>.
Hi Aswath,

Please see my inline comments.

Michael Xu (xudong)
www.wizitsoft.com | Office: (8610) 6267 0615 ext 806 | Mobile: (86) 135 0135
9807 | Fax: (8610) 62670096

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 10:00 AM, aswath narayana <aswath.satrasala@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hello Michael,
> inline...
>
> On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 2:19 PM, Michael Xu (xudong) <dong.xu@wizitsoft.com
> > wrote:
>
>> hi Aswatch,
>>
>> I like your idea. Anyway, I have some points:
>>
>> 1) It might be better to maintain gmail account info in user profile. Then
>> users don't need to input input/password everytime.
>
> I think it may not be a good idea to store gmail passwords in the OFBiz
> user profile.   A better idea, in the long term, is to do SSO to Google
> Apps.

As I know, only enterprise version supports SSO, right?

>> 2) Need to considering both one-way and two-way sync. (As sometime it
>> doesn't make sense to sync your private friends info into CRM from gmail.)
>
> Current plan is to sync interactively, hence the user can skip the private
> friends.

hmm...but does that mean every time the user has to manually uncheck those
private friends? It might not be that user friendly.

Posted by aswath narayana <as...@gmail.com>.
Hello Michael,

<do...@wizitsoft.com>wrote:

> hi Aswatch,
>
> I like your idea. Anyway, I have some points:
>
> 1) It might be better to maintain gmail account info in user profile. Then
> users don't need to input input/password everytime.

I think it may not be a good idea to store gmail passwords in the OFBiz user
profile.   A better idea, in the long term, is to do SSO to Google Apps.

> 2) Need to considering both one-way and two-way sync. (As sometime it
> doesn't make sense to sync your private friends info into CRM from gmail.)

Current plan is to sync interactively, hence the user can skip the private
friends.

> 3) Besides the sync button, You can implement a scheduled task which can
> sync automatically.

Sure., if we can address 1) & 2) above

> 4) Considering not all users are using gmail, it might make more business
> sense to sync lead/account/contact between SFA and outlook/thundbird. Then
> users can access those info in offline mode. Furthermore, users can install
> some tools (like google outlook sync tool) to sync between outlook and
> gmail.

Agreed.

Posted by Anil Patel <an...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
License used by funambol is not compatible with Ofbiz.

Regards
Anil Patel

Posted by Deyan Tsvetanov <de...@ittconsult.com>.
Hi Aswatch,

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Might I suggest you consider using Apache James mail server to fetch the
emails and process them. Then hook ofbiz to James
Look at thier mailets.

aswath narayana sent the following on 5/6/2009 7:00 PM:

--
BJ Freeman
http://www.businessesnetwork.com/automation

Re: gmail contacts sync in ofbiz SFA

Posted by Vince Clark <vc...@globalera.com>.
A bit off topic, but calendar sync would be nice also.

Posted by "Michael Xu (xudong)" <do...@wizitsoft.com>.
hi Aswatch,