Posted to user@struts.apache.org by JavaNoobie87 <vi...@enzentech.com> on 2011/03/14 05:52:37 UTC

Hi All,
Im developing a Crud example using Struts 2 where im in the need to load
values for a dropdown box dynamically from a database . However im just
getting a empty dropdown now .
The JSP code snippet is as below.
		DomainType

The action class and DAO for the same function are as below.

Action.
public String loadDomainType(){
		// Class used to get the domaintype from domaintype table
		System.out.println("my logging statement");
		String result=SUCCESS;
		try {
			System.out.println("Inside loaddomaintype");
			List loadDomainType = DomainDAO.loadDomainType();
			dtList=loadDomainType;
		} catch (Exception e) {
			// TODO Auto-generated catch block;
			result=ERROR;
			e.printStackTrace();
		}

DAO Class--
public static List loadDomainType() throws Exception {
		Connection con = null;
		PreparedStatement stmt = null;
		ResultSet rs = null;
		System.out.println("loadDomaintype DAO");
		DomainBean bean = new DomainBean();
		ArrayList dtList = new ArrayList();

		try {
			con= DBConnector.getConnection();
			if (con != null){
				System.out.println("Connected");
				String query= " SELECT CODE,DESCRIPTION,OBJECTID FROM DOMAINTYPE " ;
				stmt = con.prepareStatement(query);
				rs = stmt.executeQuery();
				System.out.println("inside loadDomainType");
				while (rs.next()){
					bean.setCode(rs.getString("CODE"));
					bean.setDescription(rs.getString("DESCRIPTION"));
					bean.setObjid(rs.getInt("OBJECTID"));
					dtList.add(bean);

				}

			}
		} catch (SQLException sqe) {
			sqe.printStackTrace();

		} finally {
			DBConnector.closeResultSet(rs);
			DBConnector.closeStatement(stmt);
			DBConnector.closeConnection(con);
		}

		return dtList;
	}

Re: loading Dropdown dynamically from database

Posted by Brian Thompson <el...@gmail.com>.
Oh, nevermind -- I replied before I saw that you'd solved that part of it :/

-Brian

Posted by JavaNoobie87 <vi...@enzentech.com>.

Posted by Brian Thompson <el...@gmail.com>.
Try making the following changes to your Java code -- the output should give
you some clues about what's going wrong.

-Brian

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 11:52 PM, JavaNoobie87 <vi...@enzentech.com>wrote:

> Hi All,
> Im developing a Crud example using Struts 2 where im in the need to load
> values for a dropdown box dynamically from a database . However im just
> getting a empty dropdown now .
> The JSP code snippet is as below.
>                DomainType
>

> The action class and DAO for the same function are as below.
>
> Action.
> public String loadDomainType(){
>                // Class used to get the domaintype from domaintype table
>                System.out.println("my logging statement");
>                String result=SUCCESS;
>                try {
>                        System.out.println("Inside loaddomaintype");
>                        List loadDomainType = DomainDAO.loadDomainType();
>                        dtList=loadDomainType;

System.out.println("dtList length: " + dtList.length);

>                } catch (Exception e) {
>                        // TODO Auto-generated catch block;
>                        result=ERROR;
>                        e.printStackTrace();
>                }
>
> DAO Class--
> public static List loadDomainType() throws Exception {
>                Connection con = null;
>                PreparedStatement stmt = null;
>                ResultSet rs = null;
>                System.out.println("loadDomaintype DAO");
>                DomainBean bean = new DomainBean();
>                ArrayList dtList = new ArrayList();
>
>                try {
>                        con= DBConnector.getConnection();
>                        if (con != null){
>                                System.out.println("Connected");
>                                String query= " SELECT
> CODE,DESCRIPTION,OBJECTID FROM DOMAINTYPE " ;
>                                stmt = con.prepareStatement(query);
>                                rs = stmt.executeQuery();
>                                System.out.println("inside loadDomainType");
>                                while (rs.next()){

bean = new DomainBean();

>                                        bean.setCode(rs.getString("CODE"));
>
>  bean.setDescription(rs.getString("DESCRIPTION"));
>
>  bean.setObjid(rs.getInt("OBJECTID"));
>                                        dtList.add(bean);

System.out.println("Adding bean to list: " + bean.getDescription());