Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org> on 2016/10/04 19:44:51 UTC

Question about spell check

I downloaded and installed
Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.3_Win_x86_install_en-GB.exe. To my distress, when
I first started it, it accepted "color" (US spelling) and rejected
"colour" (English spelling).

I thought perhaps it picked up my previous use of en-US from my profile,
but I got the same effect installing on a new Windows 10 computer that
has never run any OpenOffice before.

It is using English, not American, spellings in the user interface, but
I would have expected documents to also default to the installation
language.

What language is supposed to be used, by default, for user documents?

Re: Question about spell check

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 13:17:49 -0700
Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org> wrote:

> On 10/4/2016 1:15 PM, Marcus wrote:
> > Am 10/04/2016 09:44 PM, schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
> >> I downloaded and installed
> >> Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.3_Win_x86_install_en-GB.exe. To my distress, when
> >> I first started it, it accepted "color" (US spelling) and rejected
> >> "colour" (English spelling).
> >>
> >> I thought perhaps it picked up my previous use of en-US from my profile,
> >> but I got the same effect installing on a new Windows 10 computer that
> >> has never run any OpenOffice before.
> >>
> >> It is using English, not American, spellings in the user interface, but
> >> I would have expected documents to also default to the installation
> >> language.
> >>
> >> What language is supposed to be used, by default, for user documents?
> >
> > it's the language from the underlying system.
> >
> > The same values are set when it comes to other formattings. E.g., you
> > will see "US-Dollar" for the currency and not "British Pound".
> >
> > However, the UI interface is the language from the installation file.
> >
> > *IMHO* it's OK that not all settings are set to the language of the
> > installation file. However, for the default spell check it's
> > discuss-worthy.
>
> I'll check that it is not a regression. If it isn't, we can put it aside
> for now. It does seem strange that I need to do more to get en-GB
> spelling after installing an en-GB AOO.

On the occasion a User reports this happening we recommend deleting or renaming the OO user profile so it generates a fresh profile on next startup.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Question about spell check

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/04/2016 10:17 PM, schrieb Patricia Shanahan:

> On 10/4/2016 1:15 PM, Marcus wrote:
>> Am 10/04/2016 09:44 PM, schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
>>> I downloaded and installed
>>> Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.3_Win_x86_install_en-GB.exe. To my distress, when
>>> I first started it, it accepted "color" (US spelling) and rejected
>>> "colour" (English spelling).
>>>
>>> I thought perhaps it picked up my previous use of en-US from my profile,
>>> but I got the same effect installing on a new Windows 10 computer that
>>> has never run any OpenOffice before.
>>>
>>> It is using English, not American, spellings in the user interface, but
>>> I would have expected documents to also default to the installation
>>> language.
>>>
>>> What language is supposed to be used, by default, for user documents?
>>
>> it's the language from the underlying system.
>>
>> The same values are set when it comes to other formattings. E.g., you
>> will see "US-Dollar" for the currency and not "British Pound".
>>
>> However, the UI interface is the language from the installation file.
>>
>> *IMHO* it's OK that not all settings are set to the language of the
>> installation file. However, for the default spell check it's
>> discuss-worthy.
>
> I'll check that it is not a regression. If it isn't, we can put it aside
> for now. It does seem strange that I need to do more to get en-GB
> spelling after installing an en-GB AOO.

for me it's not that strange as I see the main purpose of the respective
language in the install file for the UI (menus, help, etc.).

Just think of installing 2-3 langpacks. So, what should now be the
default language? Hm ...

However, as written the setting the spell check language is
discuss-worthy. I can think of this as a secondary purpose when choosing
a specific language for OpenOffice.

Marcus

Re: Question about spell check

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 12:56:14 -0700
Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org> wrote:

> On 10/4/2016 12:49 PM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> > On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 12:44:51 -0700
> > Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org> wrote:
> >
> >> I downloaded and installed
> >> Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.3_Win_x86_install_en-GB.exe. To my distress, when
> >> I first started it, it accepted "color" (US spelling) and rejected
> >> "colour" (English spelling).
> >>
> >> I thought perhaps it picked up my previous use of en-US from my profile,
> >> but I got the same effect installing on a new Windows 10 computer that
> >> has never run any OpenOffice before.
> >>
> >> It is using English, not American, spellings in the user interface, but
> >> I would have expected documents to also default to the installation
> >> language.
> >>
> >> What language is supposed to be used, by default, for user documents?
> >>

> > What language is shown centre of Status Bar for the paragraph in question?
> >
> > You may need to use /Tools /Languages /For all text to change the text language to English (UK)
> >

> I can indeed force correct spelling using Tools/Languages.
>
> My question is what language should be the default. I expected the
> installation language, but it seems to be doing something different.

Normally installation of a language version (my experience is with en-GB) on a clean installation (i.e., no previous OO installation) should install the correct English dictionary.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Question about spell check

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.