Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net> on 2010/08/31 10:47:06 UTC

Re: Strange
tag in maven-metadata-codehaus.xml does not allow me to build successfully

This issue is because Maven doesn't handle redirects correctly (see
MNG-4428).
I'm guessing that you are using JBoss's old Maven repo and that the artifact
you're trying to get has been migrated to their new Nexus-based repo. In
that process they've put a redirect on the old repo, which Maven cannot
handle correctly. Thus the malformed/incorrect pom you have.

I suggest that you contact JBoss/Red Hat and inform them of this issue. We
had the same problem at Codehaus Cargo when we migrated to Codehaus' Nexus
instance. The solution we put in place what that the user agent is checked
so that for Maven a 404 is returned, while all other agents gets the
redirect.

For you to fix your build, you need to start using JBoss' new Maven repo.
There's info about this at the JBoss wiki.

/Anders

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
got the same exact error with all of the codehaus metatags

it would help tremendously if engineers would q/a their resources before uploading to maven remote repositories
I dont know if the upload process could be automated so the upload wouldnt happen when the artifact contains either malformed xml or html tags?

Martin Gainty

Posted by mnenchev <ne...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
http://nexus.codehaus.org/ is no maven repo. Most likely you're after
https://nexus.codehaus.org/content/groups/public/ .

However, all artifacts at the Codehaus repo is synced to central, so you
shouldn't need this at all. It's only if you want the snapshots as well you
need to define the Codehaus snapshot repo (
https://nexus.codehaus.org/content/groups/snapshots-group/).

Possibly you're getting the repo definition from one of your dependencies.
Please execute maven in debug mode and check what repo Maven says it is
accessing and why. It might give you some idea on where the problem exists.

/Anders

PS. I've commented on the jira for the repo migration of the Codehaus Mojo
project, so let's hope Ben sees that soon and can put a fix in place.

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
Yes, right - my bad. I just saw "jboss" in there and assumed that it was a
JBoss plugin.
In that case Ben Walding at Codehaus should know what to do. Also, as this
is the second time this issue bites us the Codehaus repo migration process
should be corrected I think.

The Jira for the Cargo migration is HAUS-1991. The fix is documented there.

/Anders

Posted by Nick Stolwijk <ni...@gmail.com>.
I think this has nothing to do with the JBoss repository, but all with
the codehaus repository. You need to use the nexus.codehaus.org
repository instead of the old Codehaus one and clean up your local
repository, ie. a full wipe or just the files that gave you trouble,
like "/home/mnenchev/.m2/repository/org/codehaus/mojo/jboss-packaging-maven-plugin/maven-metadata-codehaus.xml"