Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by "BUNN,JEREMY (HP-Vancouver,ex1)" <je...@hp.com> on 2001/04/18 16:56:38 UTC

Out parameters

Is there any plan to support [out] parameters in future versions?  It seems
reasonable for example, when passing an Integer rather than an int that the
Integer should be treated as an out parameter.  Here is a quote from
http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP/#_Toc478383503

"The method response is viewed as a single struct containing an accessor for
the return value and each [out] or [in/out] parameter. The first accessor is
the return value followed by the parameters in the same order as in the
method signature. "

I used the TcpTunnelGui utility though to watch SOAP messages between my
server and client and do not see the returned in/out parameters.

Perhaps there is already a way to specify, modify and return out parameters
that I have already missed?  Any thoughts or recommendations are
appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Re: Out parameters

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@computer.org>.
You are correct that Apache SOAP does not currently support [out] parameters.  It is an
easy thing to modify the distribution to support [in, out] parameters along particular
conventions.  For example, we have a local convention within our Java coding that [in,
out] parameters are array parameters at the start of the parameter list.  The
modification to support this was quite easy to perform.  Another modification to make
*all* parameters [in, out] is also quite simple.  However, to change the code so that
there would be some way to specify whether parameters are [in], [out] or [in, out] would
be a significant undertaking.  IMHO, the most robust implmentation would rely on WSDL to
describe the interface.  WSDL implicitly support [in], [out] and [in, out] parameters,
as RPC calls are defined in terms of a pair of messages, and parameters are specified
independently for the two messages.  I've not heard of any plans to support WSDL in the
Apache SOAP 2.x code, but perhaps there are plans for it in Axis?

Scott