Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by "Dr A.C. Marshall" <ad...@liverpool.ac.uk> on 2002/09/30 15:43:27 UTC

  entity appears as ?

Dear Esteemed collegues,

I have been using java servlets / xerces / jserv for a while now. We
recently switched over to tomcat and have one very odd problem - connected
with references to &nbsp; (which is defined in an entity file as &#160;) .
Under jserv things worked fine - under tonmcat, xerces substitutes
a ? whenever it encounters a &#160;  That is to say the characters()
method of the document handler has a ? in the string where the &#160;
should be.

I have tried other parsers, eg, aelfred, and get the same effect. Now I
guess the change is related to us now using jdk 1.4 rather than the
switch to tomcat. I have tried generating 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 target
code but still get the ?'s!

I'm sure this is a very simple problem .... but what is the solution?

Adam Marshall
--
   Dr AC Marshall (adamm@liv.ac.uk). LUSID System Programmer,
   Centre for Lifelong Learning, University of Liverpool.

   Cheese of the Millenium: Quejo con Piri Piri