Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com> on 2005/10/26 00:38:31 UTC

[Chainsaw]: JMS/ActiveMQ

Hello all,

We've been using ActiveMQ JMS server quite a lot recently, and I'm
pretty impressed.  One of it's biggest advantages is it's
connectivity mechanism, and use of various discovery mechanisms to
bind brokers to each other, and for clients to find it.

If there are any JMS + log4j users out there, I'd love to hear your
feed back on the idea.

ActiveMQ is an Apache-licensed product hosted out of codehaus.org.
It would be very easy to write an ActiveMQJMSAppender class that used
ActiveMQ as a JMS provider running in embedded mode, and have the
ACtiveMQ core libraries embedded inside Chainsaw for auto-discovery/
manual connection.

One of the biggest hassles using JMS+log4j+Chainsaw is the
combination of JNDI, setting up a JMS server, and the fact that due
to Java class-loading issues it's nigh on impossible to embed various
proprietary JMS libraries into Chainsaw.  Since ActiveMQ is apache-
licensed, there is a very good chance we can just bundle ActiveMQ
with Chainsaw.

So do people who use JMS+log4j use it because they already in-use JMS
provider in their network, or because they value the async, topic-
based broadcast of the logging events?

Thoughts?

Paul Smith