Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/05 06:44:43 UTC

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-151

any others have an opinion about
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-151 ?

Eelco

Re: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-151

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
we are setting the locale because then you don't have to get it from the
request yourself.
Thats the wicket way. Abstract you from the http request and response
objects.

johan

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
On 1/6/07, Korbinian Bachl <ko...@whiskyworld.de> wrote:
> ok - I now understand why we need it. so, you couldnt get rid and since
> changing much would break api in several places I only have 3 ideas:
>
> 1. dont change it - would be safest way
> 2. create another constructor where the locale could be specified but dont
> touch the current one so no api-breaks: would make it bit more easy to
> change, but seems not big improvement

That would only make matters worse actually.

> 3. add a "setLocale" method to default session - but im not sure here if its
> that trivial to do so.

That already exists, and will keep existing. But it is unrelated to
this proposal.

> and another question from me to the Java-Locale system:
>
> the locale consist of Language and Country, as far as i know e.g: de_DE;
> en_US; en_GB;
>
> can these values be changed in any combination I want or are they somehow
> validated ? e.g: en_DE; de_US;

You can have any combination. Look at the source of Locale.

Eelco

AW: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-151

Posted by Korbinian Bachl <ko...@whiskyworld.de>.
ok - I now understand why we need it. so, you couldnt get rid and since
changing much would break api in several places I only have 3 ideas:

1. dont change it - would be safest way
2. create another constructor where the locale could be specified but dont
touch the current one so no api-breaks: would make it bit more easy to
change, but seems not big improvement
3. add a "setLocale" method to default session - but im not sure here if its
that trivial to do so.

and another question from me to the Java-Locale system:

the locale consist of Language and Country, as far as i know e.g: de_DE;
en_US; en_GB;

can these values be changed in any combination I want or are they somehow
validated ? e.g: en_DE; de_US;

Regards,

Korbinian

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.