Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/12 01:29:10 UTC

Re: [PROPOSAL] Features autostart attribute

I came across the following use case:

I want to create a custom feature descriptor, which I will
be dropping inside the karaf deploy folder.
Currently, all features will be installed. In my case I don't want all the
features installed. I just want one of them installed.
In this case an attribute like autostart, that would be *only* used when
dropping features.xml in the deploy folder could make some sense.

In my use case I need a to have a lot of features available but uninstalled
and have a single feature "decide" which other features need to be
installed.

I know that this is not the most common use case, but having this attribute
(working only for the deploy folder case) won't hurt anyone.

wdyt?

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

**
Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
**
Apache ServiceMix <http://servicemix.apache.org/>  Committer
Apache Gora <http://incubator.apache.org/gora/> Committer
*

Re: [PROPOSAL] Features autostart attribute

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.
Yep, when drop a feature.xml to deploy folder, if we can specify which
feature should get installed, that should be great.

Freeman
On 2011-10-12, at 下午5:55, Ioannis Canellos wrote:

>> So, maybe, the only requirement is to install features when a
>> features
>> repository is added.
>>

> I was not referring to a requirement like this.
> I am mostly interested in having a way to avoid all features getting
> started
> when a feature descriptor is dropped in the deploy folder.
>
> --
> *Ioannis Canellos*
> *
> FuseSource <http://fusesource.com>
>
> **
> Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
> **
> Apache ServiceMix <http://servicemix.apache.org/>  Committer
> Apache Gora <http://incubator.apache.org/gora/> Committer
> *

Freeman Fang

FuseSource
Email:ffang@fusesource.com
Web: fusesource.com
Twitter: freemanfang
Blog: http://freemanfang.blogspot.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] Features autostart attribute

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
wow, kind of complex just to get features running :)

just my 2 cents here ;)

2011/10/12 Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>

> Would it make more sense to have something a bit more extensible than an
> attribute?   For example, I had some bundles I wanted installed on an IBM
> JDK,
> but not on a Sun JDK.    Also, JDK 7 vs 6 differences and such can also
> come
> into play.   I'm kind of thinking something similar to the Maven profile
> activation element things, but make it actually work.  :-)     We could add
> <and> and <or> elements and such in there.
>
> Either that or define a simple DSL for the attribute
> install="${Java.Version}=7" etc....
>

> Dan
>

> On Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:13:23 PM Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
> > I also prefer a feature attribute.
> > Guillaume just mentioned that it means it's "built-in" the feature, and
> > don't let the user choose its behavior.
> >
> > Regarding the attribute name, install="auto" or install="manual" looks
> > good to me.
> >
> > Regards
> > JB
> >
> > On 10/12/2011 12:10 PM, Ioannis Canellos wrote:
> > > I would prefer an attribute in the feature descriptor, as it would
> > > provide more granularity for custom features.
> > > We may need to rethink the name of the attribute to avoid confusing our
> > > users.
> > >
> > > maybe call it manual="true/false" or deploy="auto/manual"
> --
> Daniel Kulp
> dkulp@apache.org
> http://dankulp.com/blog
> Talend - http://www.talend.com

*Achim Nierbeck*

OPS4J Pax Web <http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/paxweb/Pax+Web/>  Committer &
Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: [PROPOSAL] Features autostart attribute

Posted by Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com>.
My apology, the requested feature already fixed at

Thanks

-Dan

Posted by Andrei Pozolotin <an...@gmail.com>.
    Hello again;

    just to give a background of my use case:

    motivation:
    * have a dynamic configuration-driven karaf instance
    * which can self-update or re-configure itself on demand

    solution
    * periodic pull of configuration from configuration repository on github
    * link karaf auto deploy folder to the remote configuration repository
    * automatic deploy/un-deploy of features.xml and package.kar per
    changes in the deploy folder

    Thank you,

    Andrei

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Andrei,

I gonna raise a Jira to track it. For now, we didn't progress on that point.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] Features autostart attribute

Posted by Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Achim,

you probably right :)

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] Features autostart attribute

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Dan,

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
I'm with Achim here; Makes sense to me => +1

Kind regards,
Andreas

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Got it.

That's why I proposed to add an autostart="true" attribute in the
features XML, or a autostartFeatures="A B C" in the
org.apache.karaf.features.cfg file.

Regards
JB

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi guys,

FYI, I added the features autostart in the KarDeployer.

On trunk, I will start to create OSGi services for several modules: KAR,
config, wrapper, etc. The purpose is to be able to easily plug shell
commands and MBeans without code duplication.

Back to the features behavior, currently we have:
- bootFeatures that are installed by default at startup
- "KAR features" that are installed at KAR deployment

It means, that if an user performs:

features:addurl ...

no features will be installed by default, the user has to install
features by hand.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] Features autostart attribute

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.