Posted to dev@daffodil.apache.org by Mike Beckerle <mb...@apache.org> on 2021/12/15 13:02:49 UTC

Need to create daffodil 3.2.1 ?

I think we're going to need to create a Daffodil 3.2.1 release.

We have this current critical bug
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAFFODIL-2608 which is a flaw in
unparsing associated with a primary 3.2.0 feature. I'll take the blame
for inadequate testing there. I hope to work on this today.

There is also a urgent CVE about Log4J. The cybersecurity community,
which uses Daffodil quite a bit, is insisting on updates to software
using Log4J within 15 days.  The update for this is already in the
3.3.0-SNAPSHOT branch.

There have been a number of other changes made on the 3.3.0-SNAPSHOT
branch since the official 3.2.0 release.

Are there any thoughts on whether we should just release
3.3.0-SNAPSHOT branch as 3.2.1, or whether we should fork from 3.2.0
and apply the minimum amount of fixes?

RE: [DISCUSS] release 3.2.1 - was: Re: Need to create daffodil 3.2.1 ?

Posted by "Interrante, John A (GE Research, US)" <Jo...@ge.com>.
Agreed, although let's base release 3.2.1 on git hash 5303d86fba8e9e1d3daa36fed405e507857fde1f, in order to eliminate another transitive dependency CVE (JDOM) as well as Mike's layering fix:

Update jdom2 to 2.0.6.1
#699 was merged 1 hour ago

Change layering to pass and use state
#707 was merged 2 hours ago

John

Posted by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org>.
Sounds good to me!

Posted by Mike Beckerle <mb...@apache.org>.

Need to create daffodil 3.2.1 ?

Posted by "Interrante, John A (GE Research, US)" <Jo...@ge.com>.

#706 merged 9 minutes ago

Update os-lib to 0.8.0
#704 merged yesterday

Update log4j-api, log4j-core to 2.16.0
#705 merged yesterday

Update log4j-api, log4j-core to 2.15.0
#702 merged 5 days ago

Update sbt to 1.5.6
#703 merged 5 days ago

Rename version.h to daffodil_version.h
#701 merged 6 days ago

Add test to illustrate checksum/layer bug
#700 merged 6 days ago

Use same version for both log4j-api and log4j-core
#697 merged 9 days ago

Ensure we use UTF-8 when outputting and comparing SAX output
#696 merged 8 days ago

setup for 3.3.0-SNAPSHOT development
#695 merged 9 days ago

Posted by "Sood, Harinder" <hs...@owlcyberdefense.com>.
To adhere to configuration management paradigm, it may be good to fork off 3.2.

The information contained in this transmission is for the personal and confidential use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately

Posted by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org>.