Posted to test-dev@httpd.apache.org by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net> on 2001/12/04 19:16:16 UTC

Re: [patch] adding the startup polling functionality

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Stas Bekman wrote:

> I've figured out that I have to run many times t/TEST -run
> until it successfully pings the server under t/TEST -d, so I want the
> polling functionality for -run too. Since now we have 3 places where the
> polling happens (start/ping/run), this patch:

i like -run the way it is because it doesn't actually send any requests to
the server, just uses ->ping.  i've been using this for profiling for
example: t/TEST -times 10 -run t/ssl/verify 2

i don't want the /index.html request included in the profile data.

i also often do:

t/TEST -d lwp -run > test.log

and don't want extra "waiting for server ..." output in the log.

and would rather not see a new -poll option.
can you make t/TEST -ping=block -run ... work for the functionality
you're after?

Re: [patch] adding the startup polling functionality

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>.
On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Stas Bekman wrote:

> with mnemonic: block until ping and then run? the problem is that ping
> is an exit option, will have to change things a bit.

minor change, see recent commit.

> I still like the new -poll option, since in the future we may extend
> other options functionalities to poll too.

let's wait to see if we really need it.

Re: [patch] adding the startup polling functionality

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Doug MacEachern wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Stas Bekman wrote:
>

>>I didn't suggest to change how the default -run works (see the patch).
>>

> but you did ask:
> "- any reason for not making -poll turned on by default for -run?"

sorry, I've missed this one.

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.