Posted to infrastructure-dev@apache.org by Olivier Gaudin <ol...@sonarsource.com> on 2010/12/04 13:30:16 UTC

Sonar at Apache

Hi,

I am working at SonarSource, the company that is the main contributor to
open source Sonar <http://www.sonarsource.org>. I know that there have been
discussion at ASF for providing Sonar analysis as a service to the projects
and that it aborted for various reasons. I was wondering what we could do at
SonarSource to help setting up and administrating this service for the ASF
to provide it to projects.

Please let me know.

Olivier Gaudin
SonarSource
+41 (0)79 366 6208

http://www.sonarsource.com

Re: Sonar at Apache

Posted by Olivier Gaudin <ol...@sonarsource.com>.
Hi,

Any thought on this ?

Thanks

Olivier Gaudin
SonarSource
+41 (0)79 366 6208

http://www.sonarsource.com

Re: Sonar at Apache

Posted by Jesse McConnell <jm...@apache.org>.
not that we wouldn't help you out if you had issues with jetty of course :)

cheers,
jesse

--
jesse mcconnell
jesse.mcconnell@gmail.com

Re: Sonar at Apache

Posted by Fabrice Bellingard <be...@gmail.com>.

Re: Sonar at Apache

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 20/01/2011, at 7:26 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:

> On 20/01/2011 07:46, Fabrice Bellingard wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Here's a first plan of what we can do and how we can proceed to have a first
>> try with Sonar here at the ASF.
>>
>> FI, Sonar has 2 sides: server side, and batch side.
>> Installation is summarized on Sonar's Wiki [0].
>>

>> 1. Installing the server side
>> *******************************
>>    - Install a JDK 1.5+ to run Sonar
> I'd suggest latest 1.6
>
>>          - a JDK is required to be able to activate the server mode [1])
>>    - Install MySql InnoDB 5.x+
>>          - MySql data directory should be under /X1 (which has 100GB
>> capacity)
>>    - Install Sonar with embeded Jetty
> I'd prefer to use a WAR install on Tomcat 7 with split
> CATALINA_HOME/CATALINA_BASE

Yeah, I find this split particularly helpful, and generally checkin the things in BASE (and any other server config files that might get non-standard modifications, so its easier to rebuild / track changes).

I'll check about access to that. Fabrice, in the mean time keep track of the files that might need to be added and just maintain a simple doc.

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: Sonar at Apache

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Sonar at Apache

Posted by Fabrice Bellingard <be...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Here's a first plan of what we can do and how we can proceed to have a first
try with Sonar here at the ASF.

FI, Sonar has 2 sides: server side, and batch side.
Installation is summarized on Sonar's Wiki [0].

1. Installing the server side
*******************************
    - Install a JDK 1.5+ to run Sonar
          - a JDK is required to be able to activate the server mode [1])
    - Install MySql InnoDB 5.x+
          - MySql data directory should be under /X1 (which has 100GB
capacity)
    - Install Sonar with embeded Jetty
          - Simple archive extraction and config files modification (DB
access)
          - Set it as a service with a specific UNIX user

>From this step, we should be able to install Maven on the server, locally
checkout a project (Archiva for instance ;-)), and run a first analysis to
make sure everything works on the server side.

2. Installing the batch side
******************************
This part should be done on every CI server where projects want to run Sonar
analyzes.

Considering that lots of projects have a CI process on Hudson, we could
start with this one. With Hudson, the process is quite simple:
    - Add the Sonar Hudson plugin [2]
    - Configure it with the server URLs & DB connection string

>From this step, it should be possible to run a first analysis from Hudson
and see the results on Sonar server. The only thing to do is to activate the
Sonar plugin on a project and run a build.

Once we get here, we'll need to put backups in place (mainly MySql data and
also Sonar install folders). I don't know how backups are usually handled
here at ASF, so any advice/info is welcomed.

We'll also need to discuss how this service will be opened to ASF projects.
I mean: once a project has access to Hudson - for instance, he will be able
to activate the Sonar plugin and therefore push data on the Sonar server
without requiring a specific access to it. This may not be a problem, but I
think it's important to clarify this.

For the technical documentation, where is the best place to put it?

I'll have time to start working on this this w-e, and any help is of course
appreciated :-)

[0] http://docs.codehaus.org/display/SONAR/Full+installation+in+5+steps
[1] http://docs.codehaus.org/display/SONAR/Performances
[2] http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/Sonar+plugin

Re: Sonar at Apache

Posted by Fabrice Bellingard <be...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Sonar at Apache

Posted by Fabrice Bellingard <be...@gmail.com>.

Re: Sonar at Apache

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
I'm starting to resurface after the holidays & catch up now :)

I checked in with Gav and he suggested a new VM now, so I've filed: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-3355

Re: Sonar at Apache

Posted by Fabrice Bellingard <be...@apache.org>.
Hi guys,

Sonar at Apache

Re: Sonar at Apache

Posted by Olivier Gaudin <ol...@sonarsource.com>.
Hi Mark,

Isn't it already set up for most Apache projects at [1]? This got mentioned
> on the Tomcat dev list just last week.

This is true that there is a serie of Apache projects in Nemo, most of them
being at our initiative. The issue is mainly that it means we have to look
after the build of the projects which I believe is not the right thing to do
: not only can it sometimes be consuming for us but also we are pretty
powerless when facing an issue. IMO, the build should be the responsibility
of the dev team and when the build is complete I am happy to support the
recipient into which results are gonna be injected to.

With my Tomcat hat on, I'd suggest the following:

- provide an obvious contact for projects to request being added / removed /
> alter config (I'd love to see separate Tomcat 5.5.x, 6.0.x and 7.0.x entries
> but I can't see an obvious way to request this)

- e-mail community@a.o and let the communities know it is available

I understand where you are coming from but again I do not think this is
efficient as this is all gonna be manual. Take for example Tomcat, I am
happy to setup your 3 versions. Now, can you please provide me with the SCM
for the 3 repos ? And as I happen to know that Tomcat is not built with
Maven, I will also ask you to provide me with the sources directories for
the 3 version for Sonar to be able to run proper analysis. Let now say that
you would also like to get the results of unit tests in Sonar, I will ask
you how to build Tomcat and run the unit tests and where the results are
stored...

With my infra hat on, I'd just mention to make sure however you are

pulling the data from svn that it does not put an unnecessary load on

the svn servers. I suspect this is already taken care of because it it

wasn't, you would have been blocked already.

We have doing this very cautiously to avoid being blocked. We run update
only, once a week.

If you do not think that there is an other possible way on this, I am happy
to give it a go to see where we get with proposed solution.

Cheers

Olivier Gaudin
SonarSource
+41 (0)79 366 6208

http://www.sonarsource.com

Re: Sonar at Apache

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 06/12/2010, at 12:04 PM, Luciano Resende wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 9:40 PM, Gav... <ga...@16degrees.com.au> wrote:
>>> Jukka asked for and was given the go ahead to install Sonar on one of our
>>> machines. No idea why he never, I assume he just ran out of time. No one
>>> else in infra has picked it up.
>>
>> Yep. The free cycles I had to spend on this when I asked for the
>> required infra bits (INFRA-2551) had already been spent by the time we
>> got the new server online a few months later.
>>
>> I'm about to finish a book project in a few months, so I should then
>> again have some free time for this, but it would of course be great if
>> someone else wanted to set up Sonar already before that.
>>
>> BR,
>>
>> Jukka Zitting
>>

> I've been experimenting with sonar in my local server, and if we have
> the server ready I can help getting it setup.

I volunteered last time and still happy to help (but not to drive it).

Gav made some good suggestions if SonarSource wanted to set up their own instance and get it used more. If we're going to run it here, I know SonarSource have at least one ASF committer on staff that might be encouraged to get involved.

- Brett

Re: Sonar at Apache

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

http://people.apache.org/~lresende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975
http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Re: Sonar at Apache

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

RE: Sonar at Apache

Posted by "Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Sonarsource cannot help with anything ASF hosted; and as it looks like
that is not going to happen, then as Mark mentioned above, provide your
own hosting, provide decent contacts and instructions page on how to be
added.

If you are not already, use a recent dump file [2] and then svnsync to keep
up
to date with the repo.

[2] - http://svn.apache.org/dump/

Gav...