Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jennifer Zelazny <jz...@sandboxdev.com> on 2005/08/31 21:54:44 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_rewrite problems

Hello.  I have what I thought would be a simple mod_rewrite need, but
a few hours later, I need some help.

I have some URLs that are ugly: http://www.example.com/modules/
content/index.php?id=14 which I would like to change to:
http://www.example.com/help.php.  I tried creating a .htaccess file
with:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On

RewriteRule ^/modules/content/index.php\?id=14$ /help.php [L]

</IfModule>

This does not work.  I know mod_rewrite is working, as I tested it
with a simple rule: RewriteRule test.html / [L] and that worked fine.

  Any thought would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jen

Re: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite problems

Posted by Arne Heizmann <Ar...@csr.com>.
> I have some URLs that are ugly: http://www.example.com/modules/
> content/index.php?id=14 which I would like to change to:
> http://www.example.com/help.php.  I tried creating a .htaccess file  with:
>
> <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteRule ^/modules/content/index.php\?id=14$ /help.php [L]
> </IfModule>

If you want to allow users to access the page at /help.php while its
real URL is /modules/content/index.php?id=14, then you have it the wrong
way around. You want:

	RewriteRule ^/help.php /modules/content/index.php?id=14 [L]

But if this is really what you want, I'm wondering what the point in
having the ".php" would be; I'd just call it /help.

the system manager.

Re: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite problems

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 8/31/05, Jennifer Zelazny <jz...@sandboxdev.com> wrote:
> Hello.  I have what I thought would be a simple mod_rewrite need, but
> a few hours later, I need some help.
>
> I have some URLs that are ugly: http://www.example.com/modules/
> content/index.php?id=14 which I would like to change to:
> http://www.example.com/help.php.  I tried creating a .htaccess file
> with:
>

> <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
> RewriteEngine On
>
> RewriteRule ^/modules/content/index.php\?id=14$ /help.php [L]
>
> </IfModule>

1. Get rid of the <IfModule> stuff.  It just hides useful errors.

2. See the note on the query string under
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_rewrite.html#rewriterule

3. The correct result will look something like
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^id=14$
RewriteRule ^/modules/content/index.php /help.php

Joshua.