Posted to user@etch.apache.org by Siva Kumar <si...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/01 13:00:42 UTC

Etch Performance Details

Hi All,

  I have seen the performance details of Etch in the documentation.  I
could see the following numbers in the documentation.

*System* *Calls/Second*Etch Java 13.3k Thrift Java13.5k Java RMI7.4k CORBA
Java2.4k JAX-WS943 Apache Axis2206
1. Could please clarify the hardware details,OS details about this test?
2. Is this asynchronous/ Non Blocking  method call or   synchronous /Blocking
method call?

I am planing to use Etch to my project. Please suggest how to validate the
performance.We need to validate the performance before deciding anything on
the next step..Please reply as early as possible.

Regards,
Siva

Re: Etch Performance Details

Posted by scott comer <we...@mac.com>.
On 4/2/2013 10:44 AM, Yann Nicolas wrote:

> Thanks for your reply,
>
> I consider that reaching 5K in one server is good enough if I can
> balance the load through several active nodes using a Network Load
> Balancer. You know if the TCP selector transport is stable for C#?

for 5k, maybe. dunno. you'll have to fire it up and try it.

but you'll have to tune windows to get to 5k, even, and be sure your
traffic generator is on a different machine. and you have to be careful
to model how users actually arrive at the system (not all at once).
making or breaking connections is tricky, so model the connection
process on how users actually work. (connect, request, pause, request,
pause, request, pause, ..., disconnect) then repeat. throw in some
randomness. your users scripts should include metrics (performance
guaranty, reliability).

systems often have a busy hour, and a defined rate of service required
(100,000 users arriving within 5 minutes around 7 pm). make sure you
simulate that rate and still have some headroom left (try not to commit
your system resources more than 50% to leave room for bursts and
growth). make sure when you load the system fully it continues to
function without thrashing.

scott out

Posted by Yann Nicolas <ya...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your reply,

 Le 2 avr. 2013 09:34, "Scott Comer" <we...@mac.com> a écrit :

> That one is harder. I got up to 30,000 one time. Goal was 50,000 but ran
> out of memory. Os tuning is as critical as is choice of os. Hardware
> resources, memory and processors also critical. Not easy, there is scarce
> info on how to do it. The selector based transport, tcp2, is required.
>
> Theoretically, you could go as high as 150,000 (kernel limits).
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Apr 2, 2013, at 10:11 AM, Yann Nicolas <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Somebody have measured the maximum concurrent connections we can have
> (clients connected simultaneously to the server? In a Windows Server 2008
> with a C# server for example. Which is usually the bottleneck? The number
> of connected sockets? The RAM used by the process? CPU?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Yann
>  Le 2 avr. 2013 08:46, "Scott Comer" <we...@mac.com> a écrit :
>
>> The hardware for those tests that were run years ago is now meaningless.
>> Pentium 4. I've run those tests last year with very different results. The
>> only thing interesting there is the relative performance compared to other
>> tech, which hasn't changed a lot.
>>
>> What matters and nobody else can answer this for you, ever, is how your
>> app performs in your environment.
>>
>> By all means, run the tests. Modify them to more closely model your app
>> and match your needs. As previously stated, see examples/Perf.
>>
>> Scott out
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Apr 2, 2013, at 8:37 AM, Siva Kumar <si...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the reply Martin..
>>
>> Scott ,
>>  Please share if you any information on this,
>>
>> Regards,
>> Siva
>>

>> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Martin Veith <Ma...@bmw-carit.de>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Siva,

>>> test?
>>> the performance measurements shown in the documentation have been done
>>> before I joined the team, so unfortunately I cannot tell you some more
>>> details on the hardware or OS used.
>>> @Scott: Maybe you can help out?

>>> /Blocking method call?
>>> The performance test itself is available in the example/perf directory,
>>> sou you could run them by your own on your specific hardware/OS.
>>> The IDL description [1] shows the interface (e.g. the "add" function
>>> mentioned in the documentation), the implementation is available in [2].
>>>  For "add" there are reports for both synchronous and asynchronous calls.
>>>

>>> Best regards,
>>> Martin
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/etch/trunk/examples/perf/src/main/etch/Perf.etch
>>> [2]
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/etch/trunk/examples/perf/src/main/java/org/apache/etch/examples/perf/MainPerfClient.java

>>> JAX-WS

Posted by Scott Comer <we...@mac.com>.

Posted by Scott Comer <we...@mac.com>.
Obtw, 30k reached with java. Never got very far with .net. Too flakey and immature at the time. Structural problems with performance. Ymmv.

Posted by Yann Nicolas <ya...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Scott Comer <we...@mac.com>.

Posted by Siva Kumar <si...@gmail.com>.